Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Greetings all,

First time to post here but felt it was necessary to come off "lurker status" to give all of you some of my insight regarding this pokemon craze.

Firstly, this thing is really huge (as if most of you didn't know already) with the real winner being 4kids entertainment. But even though KIDE has benefitted the most from pokemon, it doesn't exclude others from riding on it's coattails. Here's why...

Pokemon has branched out into so many sectors, trying to capitalize while it's still hot. Products such as: media entertainment (Warner Bros. kids show and it's premier movie, now showing), nintendo games, toys (too many co.'s to name, HAS being the largest), cereal, and finally...pokemon cards (TOPP and HAS).

So which sector is the hottest?

Well, if you guessed the cards then you must have a youngster or two (as do I). It's almost incomprehensible to fathom this craze. I mean, just go into anyone of these stores that sells the pokemon cards and allows the kids to trade and see if you can keep your wits about you through all the melee. Impossible! Twice while I was at a Books-A-Million store that I had to come outside for some air due to the millions of youngsters inside stealing up all of the O2, (geez, you'd think there might be fire code violations going on here).

Anyway, I found out that the cards that had all the kids in an uproar were made by Wizards of the Coast.
To confirm this, I called up every mom and pop store in Fayetteville, NC that had these cards in stock and not one had said that they carried TOPP pokemon cards. In fact, there was one kid who worked at one of the store's (who fancied himself a "pokemon trainer") that said that Topps only made memorabilia pokemon cards just like they did for Star Wars, but they were not the game trading cards, thus, not being the real deal. You see I had made the mistake of buying TOPP when I was checking out companys who made these cards, there were headliners that I came across while researching which were regarding Topps and Wizards of the Coast and their agreements with KIDE. I thought that TOPP looked more attractive compared to HAS especially after what happened to Mattel. It was then when I asked my kids to show me some of their cards, that's when realization hit like a ton of bricks, (just like in the E-Trade commercial "Blow'd Up!"), I saw "wizards" at the bottom of each one and immediately sold off all my Topps stock.

So, I checked out Wizards and wound up here. Put my money from TOPP into HAS (in at 18 and change) and am still hoping for the x-mas rally. For those who may question my reasoning, please understand that dd is my middle name and I also fancy charts too:

http://quotes.barchart.com/texpert2.asp?sym=HAS&code=XWSRN

These indicators were mostly red two weeks ago.

Now I could be wrong about Topps since I'm in North Carolina, however, my challenge is to all of you who are living elsewhere and are too, invested in HAS or TOPP to call these stores and check it out for yourself.

Finally, one last article for you to read...

http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/19991106/t000101054.html

This is with out a doubt my favorite paragraph in the story (bold mine):

"Warner executives realize they have to be careful in marketing something in which one of the main appeals to kids is that adults don't exactly get it.

Never had truer words been written:)

Good luck to all,

Terry (Draegerman)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement