Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rharmelink Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55906  
Subject: Topping for Oatmeal? Date: 12/28/2012 1:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anyone have a suggestion for a topping to put on oatmeal? Maybe some type of fruit/nut crumble?

Oatmeal is one of the daily offerings at the retirement community I live in, and it gets a bit boring. I recently bought some really good cinnamon from Amazon, which adds a lot of flavor. I've also added thawed out frozen fruit mixtures in the past.

I've also tried a number of granola-type mixes, but none have really meshed well with oatmeal.

My latest attempt was this (roasted sliced almonds combined with naturally dried cherries and apples, lightly glazed with maple then finished with a touch of cinnamon):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SRY2XY

Delicious, but far too expensive. And the varying texture between dried fruits and crunchy nuts was a bit too much.

I've tried searching on the Internet, but almost everything I find is a topping for something else that CONTAINS oatmeal. :)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54819 of 55906
Subject: Re: Topping for Oatmeal? Date: 12/28/2012 1:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Along with cinnamon, I use unflavored twinlab's vegefuel protein powder, da vinci sugar-free vanilla syrup and/or granular sugar substitute and occasionally a mini snack-packet or two of raisins.

I have found Designer Protein's vanilla praline whey protein adds a nice butterscotch flavor (I'd use alone--no other sweeteners or spices)

I bought a can of pumpkin to stir in, since I've read that is used, but haven't tried it yet.

Bananas would probably also work. I just came across this recipe I had saved (also haven't gotten around to trying it) for 'banana bread oatmeal'. Here are a few versions:

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-banana-bread-o...

http://www.quakeroats.com/cooking-and-recipes/content/recipe...

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54820 of 55906
Subject: Re: Topping for Oatmeal? Date: 12/28/2012 1:54 PM
I soak golden raisins in rum for a few days (or weeks) to soften them and mix them with my oatmeal.
;-)

C.J.V. - would probably work with other dried fruits, hic!

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54821 of 55906
Subject: Re: Topping for Oatmeal? Date: 12/28/2012 4:06 PM
Recommendations: 3
My kids love oatmeal, and put a variety of things on top. I just asked them for a list, and this is what they said:

- brown sugar
- cinnamon
- any flavor jam
- maple syrup
- fresh or canned fruit like bananas, peaches, apricots, etc.
- granola
- vanilla ice cream (DH is the one who loves this one)

DS (the one who is in culinary school) says it is a blank canvas, and just use your imagination!

Author: ShiningDawn Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54822 of 55906
Subject: Re: Topping for Oatmeal? Date: 12/28/2012 4:14 PM
I like to cut apples into small chunks and simmer in a bit of water & cinnamon until a little soft. The apples can then be spooned over the oatmeal. They also create their own "sauce". I personally don't add sugar, but you could simmer the apples in a simple syrup too. It would probably work well with pears or other fruits.

I like to add chopped pecans to my oatmeal.

Also, another really good preparation is to use steel cut oats made with coconut milk. Gives a really good flavor even without toppings.

Dried cherries are good too (but a little on the expensive side).

Hope this helps!
Dawn

Author: OleDocJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54823 of 55906
Subject: Re: Topping for Oatmeal? Date: 12/28/2012 4:33 PM
Apricot preserves is my favorite.
Maple syrup, of course.
Cherry, blacberry, or blueberry preserves or a syrup made from the frozen berries.

to name a few...

OleDoc

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54824 of 55906
Subject: Re: Topping for Oatmeal? Date: 12/28/2012 4:55 PM
Recommendations: 1
Anyone have a suggestion for a topping to put on oatmeal?

Brown sugar and heavy cream. Sometimes I need to add salt to someone else's oatmeal. Simple and delicious.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: Hardboiled Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54825 of 55906
Subject: Re: Topping for Oatmeal? Date: 12/28/2012 6:26 PM
I like to mix yogurt with oatmeal -- Greek yogurt is best!

Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54826 of 55906
Subject: Re: Topping for Oatmeal? Date: 12/28/2012 10:19 PM
Just this morning, had one of my favorites: thawed some frozen blueberries and mixed them in my oatmeal with some crushed flax seed, as well.

Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54827 of 55906
Subject: Re: Topping for Oatmeal? Date: 12/28/2012 10:26 PM
Probably not an option in a retirement community, but I cook my oatmeal in apple juice then add cinnamon and walnuts most days.

Author: rharmelink Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54828 of 55906
Subject: Re: Topping for Oatmeal? Date: 12/29/2012 3:10 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll respond in one message so I don't make this an even longer thread. :)

I bought a can of pumpkin to stir in ... Bananas would probably also work.

Pumpkin sounds interesting...

And, since you mention a typical pie filling, it makes me think about other pie fillings. Cherry pie filling might work better than dried cherries, since I find their gummy-bear texture off-putting.

I've tried bananas, which they do offer us. I like them in a breakfast cereal, but not so much in oatmeal. And they are usually still green. But I've let them ripen at home and then brought them back in a little container after they were cut into slices.

My kids love oatmeal, and put a variety of things on top.

They regularly offer up brown sugar, raisins, and a small pitcher of milk with the oatmeal. Not a big fan of raisins, but the brown sugar has been good from time to time. I prefer butter to the milk.

I've considered a good boysenberry jam. And they do have a nice raspberry syrup, usually for when they offer pancakes, waffles, or french toast.

I like to add chopped pecans to my oatmeal. Dried cherries are good too (but a little on the expensive side).

I was kind of hoping to find a nice crumble with a variety of nuts -- pecans, walnuts, almonds, macadamia, pistachios, etc.. I haven't liked the texture of dried fruit in the mix, but have use thawed out frozen cherries (also expensive).

They do make a wonderful "green" (i.e. pistachio) muffin here, when they make them.

Hmmm. I love almond pastries made with almond paste (similar to a pie filling). I wonder if the almond paste would mix well with the oatmeal, or be a good base for a crumble? Maybe too sweet.

but I cook my oatmeal in apple juice then add cinnamon and walnuts most days.

Do you chop up the walnuts into small pieces, or leave them in larger pieces?

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54830 of 55906
Subject: Re: Topping for Oatmeal? Date: 12/30/2012 5:40 PM
Found the recipe using bananas that I was originally looking for:

Gooey Banana Bread Batter Instant Steel Cut Oatmeal

Just like eating a big bowl of gooey banana bread batter, only better for you! If you like gooey, porridge-like breakfasts, you will go crazy for this one.

http://ohsheglows.com/2012/05/18/gooey-banana-bread-batter-i...

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54831 of 55906
Subject: Re: Topping for Oatmeal? Date: 12/31/2012 7:04 AM
Probably not an option in a retirement community, but I cook my oatmeal in apple juice then add cinnamon and walnuts most days.

Ditto, but we cook ours in almond milk (unflavored, unsweetened)--to used to cook in dairy milk before I became lactose-intolerant, a sprinkle of salt, and usually add either grated apple or dried cranberries before cooking, and sometimes add half & half just before eating. I bet stirring in apple sauce after the oatmeal is cooked would be similar to cooking with grated apple.

When I think of it, I stir in some ground golden flax seed and/or hemp seed. Which reminds me...when DD was a small child, she liked few sources of protein so that's when I started cooking hot cereal in milk and sometimes adding extra milk powder or even peanut powder to hot cereal.

The OP might ask for additional kinds of hot cereal if they aren't offered...I adore Wheatena (kind of a whole wheat version of cream of wheat--I miss it now that I'm sensitive to gluten) and buckwheat cereal is nice for a change.

PS--Buzzed-up oatmeal (we use a food processor) makes a great pancake flour. If the senior community's chef makes boring pancakes, oatmeal pancakes as well as buckwheat are nice for a change.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement