Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JohnAndLori Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8956  
Subject: Torture Date: 5/19/2005 12:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
Two weeks ago I arrived at the golf course 45 minutes early for my tee time. I was playing as a single and was hoping I could get out a bit early.

Not only did the starter allow me to go early, she told me to start on the back 9 since "it was empty". I was thrilled...not only would I play by myself (instead of with three strangers) but there was nobody to slow me down. In my book, it doesn't get any better than that.

Number 11 is a 135 yard, par 3 with a green and tee box that are roughly the same level, but with a valley in between. The pin was front right about 5 paces from the front edge and sitting right between two greenside bunkers that are also in front.

I step up with my 8 iron and precede to skull the ball right down into the valley. The ball just makes it over the cart path and starts bounding back up the hill towards the green.

I'm thinking...wow that was terrible, but looks like I might get lucky.

The ball burns through the grass between the two bunkers and bleeds off most of its speed just as it crests to the green.

I'm thinking...wow, I did get lucky. REAL LUCKY!

The ball is heading right for the cup nice and slow.

I'm thinking...HOLY CRAP, IT HAS A CHANCE! HOLY CRAP, I DON'T HAVE A WITNESS!

The ball is still rolling as if the cup is a magnet and the ball is made of steel.

I'm thinking...GO IN! DON'T GO IN!! GO IN!!! DON'T GO IN!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE I DON'T HAVE A F---ING WITNESS!!!!!

The ball rolls within about an inch of the lip and goes just past the hole and stops.

I'm thinking...absolutely nothing. My head is racing with conflicted feelings that amount to absolutely nothing coherent. I am emotionally drained from the past 8 seconds of my life.

When I get up to the green, I am less than 10" away.

I still can't reconcile with myself how I would feel if the ball actually fell. My first ace with no witness...and attached to it would be "the ugliest shot ever" story.

Damn, I love/hate this game.

John(andLori)

PS: I made the birdie putt. :-)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement