Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TheNightTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5238  
Subject: total domination Date: 1/9/2012 11:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I guess Alabama 'deserved' to be there after all.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: erikinthered100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5195 of 5238
Subject: Re: total domination Date: 1/9/2012 11:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I guess Alabama 'deserved' to be there after all.

Other teams were MORE deserving and didn't get their shot.

Too bad there's no end of the year playoff.

It would have been interesting to see a top offense (Boise St., Stanford, OSU, Oregon, Wisconsin) at the end of the year against the "vaunted" SEC defenses of Alabama or LSU. They probably would have been far more effective than either offense tonight.

Great game by Bama and they probably were the best team this year but we can't be certain without a playoff.

dave

Author: PopeyesAddict Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5196 of 5238
Subject: Re: total domination Date: 1/10/2012 12:32 AM
Other teams were MORE deserving and didn't get their shot.

Not according to the predetermined method, agreed to by all the participants, of determining the most deserving teams.

Who BTW is more deserving in your opinion?

Author: NevadaGolfer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5200 of 5238
Subject: Re: total domination Date: 1/10/2012 1:23 PM
Recommendations: 1
Alabama ended up being a 2.5 point favorite before kickoff by the people who back up their opinions with money.

LSU and Alabama both averaged 40 points a game against everyone besides themselves. They have excellent offenses. The only difference we would have seen if Stanford or Oklahoma St had been in the game against either LSU/Bama would have been a 30-40 point win for the SEC team. Alabama could have picked the final score against everyone not named LSU or Oregon.

Oregon is the only other team in the country that could stay within shouting distance of LSU/Alabama.

Author: RayKinsella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5201 of 5238
Subject: Re: total domination Date: 1/10/2012 2:02 PM
LSU and Alabama both averaged 40 points a game against everyone besides themselves. They have excellent offenses. The only difference we would have seen if Stanford or Oklahoma St had been in the game against either LSU/Bama would have been a 30-40 point win for the SEC team. Alabama could have picked the final score against everyone not named LSU or Oregon.

Oregon is the only other team in the country that could stay within shouting distance of LSU/Alabama.

In your opinion. OSU beat Stanford and did their part. The rest is all speculation.
Ray

Author: steross Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5202 of 5238
Subject: Re: total domination Date: 1/10/2012 4:47 PM
Recommendations: 5
Alabama ended up being a 2.5 point favorite before kickoff by the people who back up their opinions with money.

More worthless opinion masquerading as fact by trying to state it as so.

Alabama only played one offense in the top 50, Arkansas at #29. You cannot extrapolate how they would do against a good offense because of what they did against an average offense last night. You are entitled to your opinion, but saying "would have" is just flat wrong.

Author: PopeyesAddict Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5203 of 5238
Subject: Re: total domination Date: 1/10/2012 10:50 PM
OSU beat Stanford and did their part. The rest is all speculation.

BARELY, in OT. And only because Stanford's kicker got a case of the nerves.

Besides, OSU didn't do it's part. See: Iowa State - who finished the season with a losing record.

Author: PopeyesAddict Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5204 of 5238
Subject: Re: total domination Date: 1/10/2012 10:56 PM
Alabama only played one offense in the top 50

Those rankings aren't very meaningful. They can wildly thrown off by the level of competition.

As a defensive coordinator, do you really fear Northern Illinois (#5) more than LSU (#57)?

Author: CarlHungus Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5213 of 5238
Subject: Re: total domination Date: 1/11/2012 4:02 PM
Those rankings aren't very meaningful. They can wildly thrown off by the level of competition.

As a defensive coordinator, do you really fear Northern Illinois (#5) more than LSU (#57)?

---

Wouldn't have to have these ridiculous arguments if there were a playoff

Author: steross Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5214 of 5238
Subject: Re: total domination Date: 1/11/2012 7:15 PM

So, the offensive rankings aren't meaningful but the defensive rankings are? Because the fact that OSU's defense was ranked low was repeatedly used as a rationale for why they do not belong.

How many times did we hear Brent talk about the "top ranked" Alabama defense in the NC game? But you are correct, the level of competition matters. I highly doubt Alabama's defense would be top ranked if they played in a league that had offense. They would be good, but not top ranked.

Author: NevadaGolfer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5215 of 5238
Subject: Re: total domination Date: 1/11/2012 8:20 PM
Alabama could play the following schedule...

Oregon
Stanford
Oklahoma St
Arkansas
Wisconsin
LSU
Oklahoma
USC
Houston
Baylor
Boise St

and they would still finish as the #1 ranked defense. This defense was not just #1 across the board but by wide margins especially when you look at advanced stats like yards per play where Alabama just soul crushed teams. Nearly every team they played had by far their worst effort of the season in getting their yards per play reduced to absurdly low levels.

That's one of the reasons Alabama came into the title game as the betting favorite over LSU. Neither LSU or Alabama had had a close game all year besides their previous game but Alabama had performed far better against common opponents than LSU did when you look at yards per play and other things.

This team is rightly regarded as having possibly the best defense of all time or at least in the last 50 years of college football.

Author: steross Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5216 of 5238
Subject: Re: total domination Date: 1/11/2012 9:06 PM
Recommendations: 3

Oregon
Stanford
Oklahoma St
Arkansas
Wisconsin
LSU
Oklahoma
USC
Houston
Baylor
Boise St

and they would still finish as the #1 ranked defense.

And again with the "would". You know there is no possible way that you can correctly predict that would be true. Really doesn't matter what evidence you give, when you state as fact something that clearly cannot be shown as fact in a debate then you are still nothing but wrong.

This team is rightly regarded as having possibly the best defense of all time or at least in the last 50 years of college football.

Hyperbole doesn't change the fact that they never played a great offense. Nor does it change the fact that an FCS team rushed for their typical average yards and put up three TDs on them. Of course, none of that means that OSU, Oregon, or another great offense "would" beat them. But it certainly means they could.

Author: PopeyesAddict Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5217 of 5238
Subject: Re: total domination Date: 1/12/2012 12:39 AM

Or if people would just accept that it is the best system for the current constraints.

Author: RayKinsella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5219 of 5238
Subject: Re: total domination Date: 1/12/2012 9:04 AM

Or if people would just accept that it is the best system for the current constraints.

Says the guy defending the champion.
Ray

Author: TheNightTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5220 of 5238
Subject: Re: total domination Date: 1/12/2012 9:49 AM

Oregon
Stanford
Oklahoma St
Arkansas
Wisconsin
LSU
Oklahoma
USC
Houston
Baylor
Boise St

and they would still finish as the #1 ranked defense.

Wow! I live in Alabama and am a Bama fan but I don't believe even I could go that far. There are no 'breathers' on the schedule. Because it is tackle football (at least in the SEC :-)), injuries are a factor and some games are needed to let banged up players heal a little. For example, about half of Bama's team sat out the Ga. Southern game. This is common around the country.

Having said that, I do believe Bama would fare better against that schedule than anyone else, JMO.

Author: CarlHungus Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5221 of 5238
Subject: Re: total domination Date: 1/12/2012 4:16 PM
Recommendations: 3

---

This is circular logic. The only constraint is the crappy system. So yes, this crappy system is the best system when the constraint is that you have a crappy system.

Author: PopeyesAddict Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5222 of 5238
Subject: Re: total domination Date: 1/12/2012 10:23 PM
This is circular logic. The only constraint is the crappy system. So yes, this crappy system is the best system when the constraint is that you have a crappy system.

The constraints I'm talking about are the limit of a two-team postseason and the limits of self-made schedules and self-selected conferences.

The latter of the two is never going to go away and hasn't in any NCAA sport.

So that leaves one thing that could be changed to improve it, and that's widening the field a little bit.

But the whole system isn't crappy. I personally prefer the openness of the BCS system to the closed-room selection committee method used by every other NCAA sport.

I will back off what I said though. This isn't the BEST system under the constraints. It could be better if they allowed computers to consider margin of victory (at least to some maximum), they forced the computer polls to back-test their algorithms to prove they deserve one of the slots in the poll and they scored coaches rankings to eliminate poor performers (or just allowed every FCS coach to vote). But even if they did, I'm not sure that would have ever changed the participants in the NC game.

Author: PopeyesAddict Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5223 of 5238
Subject: Re: total domination Date: 1/12/2012 10:24 PM
Says the guy defending the champion.

I don't think you get how this phrase works.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement