UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: angellyc Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35363  
Subject: Total Return Curves Date: 8/4/2000 10:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've been hearing about Total Return Curves but I have no I idea what it is! I know they have something to do with yield curves, but how are they related? What's the mathematical basis for the TRC? I would really like to understand in detail. Can anyone help me???
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 927 of 35363
Subject: Re: Total Return Curves Date: 8/5/2000 12:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Total return refers not only to the interest you receive on your fixed income investment but also the change in market value that comes mostly from expected changes in interest rates.

I am not familiar with total return curves, but presumably you could plot out total returns--especially of bond funds--compared to published yield curves. This would give you a measure of market mood: either pessimism or optimism, and may signal good times to buy.

However, this concept is for those who trade bonds or bond funds for short term profits. Ie, this is a market timing device. Fools believe in mechanical investing rather than market timing. Laddered maturity bond portfolio is one of those. You avoid market timing decisions.

Given the strong signals that come from the Federal Reserve bank, interest rates may at times be somewhat more predictable than other market forces. However, no one--not even the Fed--really knows when rates will peak or valley. Its still market timing.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement