Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Dembus Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121187  
Subject: Total taxes you pay Date: 4/13/1999 10:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've added up taxes I pay. Half of gross wages are deducted for an array of taxes (federal, state, local income, medicare, social security, disability).  Adding to that deducted 50%, there are property, school taxes, taxes on many goods and services such as clothes, soap, furniture, cars, gasoline, bridge and tunnel tolls, phone and cable service, on interest and dividends ('unearned' income), capital gains (if I sell stuff), and when I die, estate taxes which my heirs will pay. But calculating taxes I pay while alive, I find that perhaps 75% of my income is paid out as taxes.  Abused taxpayer.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14593 of 121187
Subject: Re: Total taxes you pay Date: 4/13/1999 12:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Given that you do not seem to be able to format your message in a way anybody can read easily, it is not surprising that your arithmetic is stupid too.

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14773 of 121187
Subject: Re: Total taxes you pay Date: 4/15/1999 6:23 PM
[[ I've added up taxes I pay. Half of gross wages are deducted for an array of taxes (federal, state, local income, medicare, social security, disability). Adding to that deducted 50%, there are property, school taxes, taxes on many goods and services such as clothes, soap, furniture, cars, gasoline, bridge and tunnel tolls, phone and cable service, on interest and dividends ('unearned' income), capital gains (if I sell stuff), and when I die, estate taxes which my heirs will pay. But calculating taxes I pay while alive, I find that perhaps 75% of my income is paid out as taxes. Abused taxpayer.]]

Write your Congressperson.

I keep reading in the popular press that people don't believe that they are taxed enough. So I guess that you'll first have to educate those dopes.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14775 of 121187
Subject: Re: Total taxes you pay Date: 4/15/1999 6:30 PM
[[Given that you do not seem to be able to format your message in a way anybody can read easily, it
is not surprising that your arithmetic is stupid too. ]]

JAB???? Is that you?? Or is this your evil twin?

This doesn't sound like the kind, charitable person that I have come to know in the folder. Did somebody steal your password and screen name???

This sounds more like a old, cranky tax geek...just like me.

Or at least like me yesterday...today is a beautiful day...and tomorrw will be even better.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14796 of 121187
Subject: Re: Total taxes you pay Date: 4/15/1999 7:46 PM
TMFTaxes, regarding #14775, it was me. I have no twin, evil or otherwise. In fact, as we say in mathematics, I exist and am unique.

If that guy works for wages, the only way he can be losing more than 50% of his money in withholding is that he must 1) be living in a high tax state like New York 2) have it early in the year so that the first $72,300 of his earnings is still subject to FICA, and 3) have taxable income over $278,450.

TMFTaxes, if you can find me a job where I can make over $278,450 a year and be that ignorant and sloppy, I promise I will pay you 15% of my salary until the day I get fired.

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14914 of 121187
Subject: Re: Total taxes you pay Date: 4/19/1999 9:43 PM
[[TMFTaxes, if you can find me a job where I can make over $278,450 a year
and be that ignorant and sloppy, I promise I will pay you 15% of my salary until
the day I get fired.]]

JAB...

Sounds like you are looking at a government position. A Senator perhaps? Or simply passing state secrets to a foreign power. Seems like ignorant and sloppy would apply to BOTH of those employment opportunities.

Anyway...I hope that you are not upset with me. I was just pokin' fun. And you'll have to give me a little bit of a break...it was nearing the end of tax season, and my sense of humor (what little I have left) is pretty warped...or even more warped than usual.

Still friends???

TMF Taxes
Roy

Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14921 of 121187
Subject: Re: Total taxes you pay Date: 4/20/1999 10:22 AM
TMFTaxes, certainly we are still friends. In fact, I unjustifiably leapt up and bit a piece out of DwightG's fanny on another board because I mistakenly thought he was casting aspersions on you and other TMF part-timers.

My irritation was with the original poster. I suspect he makes so much he thinks of himself as "a productive member of society."

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15008 of 121187
Subject: Re: Total taxes you pay Date: 4/22/1999 8:22 PM
[[ TMFTaxes, certainly we are still friends.]]

Good deal...that's the most important thing.

[[ In fact, I unjustifiably leapt up and bit a
piece out of DwightG's fanny on another board because I mistakenly thought he
was casting aspersions on you and other TMF part-timers.]]

I didn't say it wasn't justified...it was just out of character. Completely separate issues. But thanks for watchin' my backside.

[[ My irritation was with the original poster. I suspect he makes so much he thinks
of himself as "a productive member of society."]]

Always remember something my daddy told me many, many years ago: "You don't have to be smart to be rich." And I see proof of that almost daily. Remembering this little ditty may help keep your blood pressure down.

TMF Taxes
Roy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement