Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
When I was growing up, this was celebrated--at the state level, not federal--as Lincoln's Birthday. Now most people have apparently combined it with Washington's Birthday into what they call Presidents' Day, but the federal holiday on February 22* is, according to statute, Washington's Birthday.

It is, of course, unthinkable to have a federal holiday honoring Lincoln--the South would secede again. By next year there might be a federal holiday on June 3 (birthday of Jefferson Davis) or January 19 (Robert E. Lee).

My most important accomplishment today had nothing to do with anything like that. It consisted of trying on my Purim costume. I won't say what it is, but I need a pair of high red socks to complete it.

*Observed this year on February 19, because everyone knows that Washington was born on a Monday.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement