Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1

Has your broker had you fill out an IRS form called W-8BEN?

If you are resident of a country with a tax treaty with USA, (Canada does, no idea about Japan) this form (at least my broker told me)allows the broker not to have to withhold USA taxes on profits of USA listings.
You then are meant to declare that income on your taxes filed with your country of residence.

Not a tax guy, but this is what I have been doing for 15 years, and as far as I know the IRS is not after me. I go through the USA every month and haven't been arrested yet.

Print the post  


The Great Foolish North
Canadian social and off-topic banter.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.