UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: havefunsaving Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 597  
Subject: Re: New Name? Date: 8/19/2008 3:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Touchstone is a pretty cool character if you have read/watched As you Like it. Very merry guy and smart.

Ummmm... let me guess... a Shakespeare fan? :o)

I like a lot of what you suggested. Very different, yet well in touch with the Motley Fool name origins.

I could see myself going for TouchStone (also has the connotation of being something interesting and of value in weighing the value of other things).

From the Free Online Dictionary http://www.thefreedictionary.com/touchstone:
Touchstone:
2. An excellent quality or example that is used to test the excellence or genuineness of others: "...the qualities of courage and vision that are the touchstones of leadership..." Henry A. Kissinger.

OR
Noun 1. touchstone - a basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated; "the schools comply with federal standards"; "they set the measure for all subsequent work"

I also kind of like Fool Trove, or FoolTrove. I think whatever name we finally settle on will work better if it's all one word.

On the other hand, if we're looking at something that will become ubiquitous (such as Wikipedia), perhaps something that is indicative of the Fool (such as TouchStone), but not with "Fool" in the name might be more palatable to those not "in the know" about Fooldom. (You know, getting them to comprehend and accept the difference between "fool" and "Fool.")

Of course, I suppose we're also hoping that the "Flossary" will bring more folks into the Fooldom fold, as well, and then they WILL understand the difference. :o)

Anyway, I kind of like "TouchStone." And the more I think of it, the more it grows on me.

Welcome to the Fool Wiki, Tastylunch! Excellent beginnings. I look forward to your contributions.

Best regards,
Kathie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement