UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ImCalvin Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75335  
Subject: Tracking obscure funds Date: 12/9/2002 9:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The 401k plan through my company recently added some index funds to the list of possible investments. At first I thought this is would be great, low cost/diversified funds, woo hoo! But as it turns out they chose to use either really obscure funds or funds that aren't traded or tracked publicly (if that's possible?).

My question is how do I track the retuns, expense ratio, and all the other important stuff? They are all modeled after index funds, so I could substitute Vanguard funds or something, but I would like to get something more accurate (hopefully a ticker). Is that possible?

The funds are in a Fidelity 401k account but managed by Barclays Global Investors and are:

# BGI U.S. Debt Index Fund - Class T (Fund # 44790)
Modeled after Lehman Brothers Aggregate Bond Index
VBMFX Total Bond Mkt Index Inv

# U.S. Equity Market Index (Fund # 10171)
Modeled after Wilshire 5000
VTSMX Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares

# Extended Equity Market Index (Fund # 10172)
Modeled after Wilshire 4500
VEXMX - Vanguard Extended Market Index Fund Investor Shares

Any better ideas?

-Ben
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BookmFool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35322 of 75335
Subject: Re: Tracking obscure funds Date: 12/10/2002 8:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings IMCalvin:
The 401k plan through my company recently added some index funds to the list of possible investments. At first I thought this is would be great, low cost/diversified funds, woo hoo! But as it turns out they chose to use either really obscure funds or funds that aren't traded or tracked publicly (if that's possible?).

These prolly are what are called institutional funds, which are mainly offered through retirement and pension plans. This is a good thing because most institutional funds have lower expenses than their publicly available counterparts.

My question is how do I track the retuns, expense ratio, and all the other important stuff?

Your plan should provide you with a prospectus or some other material that's sort of a fund fact sheet that will show the fund's expenses as well as how the funds have historically performed if they've existed for any length of time. My retirement plan also provides the appropriate benchmark right next to each fund to compare performance. You could also go to indexfunds.com, scroll down to where it says, Data Central Jump to:, scroll to indexes in the box and then select the appropriate index and time frame to compare to your index fund(s) to determine each funds tracking error, which measures the performance difference between the fund and the benchmark. the closer the returns, the better.

And as you mentioned, you could compare how these funds compare to it's peers, like comparing side-by-side to Vanguard's offerings.

If you haven't been provided any data on these funds yet, contact you plan administrator and have them send you a packet, before you invest in these funds.

HTH

Bookm

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement