UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: alphab Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75639  
Subject: Trad IRA to Roth: Conversion? Date: 1/12/2004 4:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I contributed $3500 to my Vanguard Roth in 2002, but as my AGI exceeded the limit I recharacterized the entire contribution to a newly opened Traditional IRA with Vanguard in 2003. This constituted a 2003 'distribution' from Roth IRA according to Vanguard Portfolio Summary, and was about $3200.

I thought I could recharacterize this conversion in 2004 to a Roth IRA. But, according to Vanguard this was possible only until the end of 2003 and in any case this would nullify the previous conversion, an outcome I would not wish.

Apparently, it will have to be a same trustee 'conversion', but will be treated as a rollover involving a distribution. As an option I may also leave this investment as it is and take the distribution(s) later, or withdraw the entire amount right now as a distribution but not put it back into a Roth account. I would appreciate if someone with expertise in this area could confirm that the above interpretation is correct.

I am not sure of the tax implications of these options. Do I have to pay tax on the gain above $3200 although my original investment was $3500? The difference will be small, but I would like to report it correctly in the 2004 tax return.

Also, in case I rollover to Roth IRA (now or later) can I still contribute in that year to Roth in the usual way- $3000 or $3500 or whatever?

Finally, quite soon I may like to transfer my 401(K) money to Vanguard from my previous employer. I understand I will have to first open a traditional IRA with the money, and then take distributions either for investing in rollover Roth IRA or for other non-IRA use. In either case, I will have to pay tax on the distribution(s) in full. Am I correct in thinking that this rollover conversion to Roth is quite unrelated to the annual Roth contribution rules?

Many thanks in advance.
alpha

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement