Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: edyboom223 Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 123538  
Subject: Trading to Increase Capital Gains Date: 2/27/2011 5:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am living in Korea as an English teacher. I do not earn US taxable income, but I believe that any capital gains that I earn in the US stock market would count as US taxable income. Is this correct?

If so, I wish to maximize my capital gains so as to minimize a potential tax punishment in the future for funding my Roth when I am technically not permitted to.

My main question is this:

If I own a stock for over a year, can I sell it on December 31 to take the capital gains. I still want to own the stock, and I believe it will continue to go up. Can I buy it again on January 1st? Is there any punishment for doing this? Again, I am doing this to increase taxable income, not decrease it. Therefore, I believe that the wash sale rule does not apply.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2015!
Fistula Foundation: A World of Good!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.