UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ratchley Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Traditional and Roth Ownership Date: 12/21/1999 2:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is it possible for one individual to own both a Traditional IRA and a Roth IRA and make contributions to both? If so, is the maximum amount which can be made to each $2000.00 or does the amount invested in one limit the investment to the other?
Many thanks,
Russ Atchley
Print the post Back To Top
Author: cybrella Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16692 of 76418
Subject: Re: Traditional and Roth Ownership Date: 12/21/1999 8:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I have a similar question... I already have a Roth IRA. I recently changed jobs and I needed somewhere to move my pension money that I had accumulated. I could not add it to my Roth IRA, so I had to open a Traditional IRA to avoid comingling. Is there any way to convert the Traditional IRA into the already existing Roth IRA? Should I bother?

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16701 of 76418
Subject: Re: Traditional and Roth Ownership Date: 12/21/1999 9:54 AM
Greetings, Russ, and welcome. You asked:

<<Is it possible for one individual to own both a Traditional IRA and a Roth IRA and make contributions to both? If so, is the maximum amount which can be made to each $2000.00 or does the amount invested in one limit the investment to the other?>>

Yes, you may have both at the same time and you may contribute to both at the same time. Your contributions, though, are limited to no more than the lesser of your earned income or $2K per year, which can be divided any way you wish between all of your IRAs.

Regards..Pixy

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16706 of 76418
Subject: Re: Traditional and Roth Ownership Date: 12/21/1999 10:15 AM
Greetings, Cybrella, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I have a similar question... I already have a Roth IRA. I recently changed jobs and I needed somewhere to move my pension money that I had accumulated. I could not add it to my Roth IRA, so I had to open a Traditional IRA to avoid comingling. Is there any way to convert the Traditional IRA into the already existing Roth IRA? Should I bother?>>

Now that the money is in a traditional IRA you are free to convert it to a Roth IRA in any year you meet the requirements for doing so. That may or may not be a good idea depending on a number of factors such as your tax rate today versus that in retirement, how you will pay the taxes due on the conversion, how long the money stays in the Roth before withdrawal, and the size of coupled with your desires for your estate. You have to run the numbers yourself to see if makes sense in your circumstances.

Regards..Pixy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement