Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: BeenFooled Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71119  
Subject: Trailer Hitch (for Volvo XC70) Date: 8/11/2003 4:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am looking to put a trailer hitch on a 2002 Volvo "Cross Country" (XC70) wagon.

First of all, I am wondering if anyone here has experiences with this car and hitches. More in general though, I am wondering what to look for in a hitch - I've never had one.

Right off the bat, I would like to mount a bike carrier on it, but down the line I can see trailing a small sailboat, maybe a trailer with plywood sheets, that sort of thing - nothing too big or heavy. On the other hand, I don't mind paying a little extra for something beefier, even if I am not going to 'need' it.

Other things I am wondering about are whether I need to have break lights wiring or not, what is a "standard" receiver size... things like that.

I looked into this a little, and it seems I can get something from "Draw-Tite" for $90, right up to a dealer-installed hitch with bells and whistles for $700..... I need to figure out where to draw the line on the bells and whistles!

Thanks for any help.
BeenFooled
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ToddTruby Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27250 of 71119
Subject: Re: Trailer Hitch (for Volvo XC70) Date: 8/11/2003 5:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Well, the Volvo hitch really is a nice frame mounted hitch that is completely compatible with the wiring harness in the car...but you probably don't need all that for your needs. Another consideration is that the Volvo hitch is very "low profile" and is very well hidder under the bumper cover and has a plastic cover for the receiver when not in use.

U-haul is one of the leading installers of hitches around, so you might want to check out a u-haul place for an opinion.

personally, I would go for the factory hitch, but then I work for Volvo so take that suggestion FWIW.

Tell me where you live and if I personally know someone at a dealer near you I can ask them to give you break on the pricing...or if you bring it to Orlando I will help you install it for free.

Author: Eugeneous Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27271 of 71119
Subject: Re: Trailer Hitch (for Volvo XC70) Date: 8/13/2003 1:50 PM
Recommendations: 1
When looking at hitches, one thing you need to know is what size receiver your accessories need. Two standard reciever sizes are 1 1/4" and 2". If you can find accessories to fit the 1 1/4 reciever then a class II (2) will probably be fine. I checked the draw tite site and they only have a 1 1/4 reciever for your Volvo. I checked Valley hitch site and they don't list the Volvo.

I bought my truck hitch at my local Farm and Fleet. Check other local farm supply stores that service vehicles. Also ask at marine supply stores for who they reccommend.

Eugene

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement