UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31091  
Subject: Training Livesock to Eat Weeds! Date: 10/9/2012 9:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
UVM yesterday presented a discussion of training goats and cattle to eat weeds -- like nettle, burdock, etc.!

They started by mixing some desirable grains with the weeds and in a couple of weeks the animals were LOOKING for the weeds! They also apparently pass their desire to eat the weeds on to their progeny, too! And it does not harm the animals! A real boon to farmers!

Contact UVM for more info.

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DorMill Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30334 of 31091
Subject: Re: Training Livesock to Eat Weeds! Date: 10/10/2012 12:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I thought those critters liked eating weeds. Some park areas use them to keep the landscape under control to help reduce or prevent fires.

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30335 of 31091
Subject: Re: Training Livesock to Eat Weeds! Date: 10/11/2012 6:53 AM
Recommendations: 3
UVM yesterday presented a discussion of training goats and cattle to eat weeds -- like nettle, burdock, etc.!

Maybe someone could train the deer to eat the weeds instead of my peas, tomato & pepper plants.
;-(

C.J.V. - or the coyotes to eat only the deer instead of the local cats & small dogs, them

Author: PoodleLover Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30337 of 31091
Subject: Re: Training Livesock to Eat Weeds! Date: 10/11/2012 10:50 PM
Recommendations: 0
Here in the PNW there are companies who "rent out their goats" to deal with the non-native plants that have seemingly taken over hillsides and properties.

O-:| We even have a commercial about it... "Goat Renter Guy": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9jxa7T6WGQ

Author: AlsoChorizo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30417 of 31091
Subject: Re: Training Livesock to Eat Weeds! Date: 1/28/2013 12:57 PM
Recommendations: 2
I think cows that are pastured on a regular basis eat weeds without a second thought. I can remember one year when I was young my mother bought some butter from the store that just reeked of wild onions/garlic. We ended up taking it back to the store. Also, I remember reading somewhere nettles are actually good for cattle. They don't have the stinging effect that nettles do with humans.

AC *I'm sure it makes for yummy meat*

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement