Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: heyjb One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Transaction vs. Settlement Date Date: 12/10/1999 3:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
A dumb question from a novice investor: What date does the IRS use in calculating how long you've held something and/or what year the transactions took place? For example, I bought and sold some stocks on 12/29/98. Those transactions didn't settle until 1/4/99. So how does it work?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RooCat Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22777 of 121585
Subject: Re: Transaction vs. Settlement Date Date: 12/10/1999 4:39 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
You have to go by the trade date, not the settlement date.

Author: Bob78164 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23008 of 121585
Subject: Re: Transaction vs. Settlement Date Date: 12/13/1999 4:27 PM
TMFTaxes writes (in part):

As pointed out, the settlement date controls for tax purposes.

I reply:

Um, Roy, have you been getting enough sleep lately? I think you meant to say that the trade date controls. --Bob

Author: RooCat Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23010 of 121585
Subject: Re: Transaction vs. Settlement Date Date: 12/13/1999 4:57 PM
As pointed out, the settlement date controls for tax purposes.

Gee, Roy, here we've all been telling them it was the trade date, not the settlement date.

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23086 of 121585
Subject: Re: Transaction vs. Settlement Date Date: 12/14/1999 4:12 PM
<<As pointed out, the settlement date controls for tax purposes.

Gee, Roy, here we've all been telling them it was the trade date, not the settlement date.>>

WHERE THE HELL IS THAT UN-REPLY BUTTON!!!!!

As Bob and RooCat have pointed out, it's the trade date that controls.

So....Bob....how was it again that you got various posts removed again? I think that this is one that should be pulled.

Thanks again for the clarification from both of you. And thanks for being kind for such a bone-headed error.

TMF Taxes
Roy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement