Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: gt5037c Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 244  
Subject: Transfer from B&H to SB and taxes Date: 1/15/2002 5:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It's been a while since I've been on this board, but I believe this question is appropriate here. I'm going to post a similar message on the Tax Strategies board.

Like many other users on this board, I got tired of B&H's mandatory monthly fees. I just wasn't buying enough stocks to justify the fees. So, I closed my B&H account, opened a Sharebuilder account and transfered the (whole number) stocks into it. The fractional stocks that did not transfer were converted to cash, and B&H mailed me a check. Given the tanking of tech stocks over the past year, I had six different (fractional) stocks that I had to sell at a loss to completely close out my B&H account.

So here's my question: Can I take advantage of selling these stocks at a loss on my taxes?

Any advice would be appreciated.

gt5037c
Print the post Back To Top
Author: GLSmyth Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 241 of 244
Subject: Re: Transfer from B&H to SB and taxes Date: 1/15/2002 7:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I'm not the tax guy, but yes, you can use the losses to offset any gains you have had during the year.

Cheers -

george

Author: gt5037c Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 242 of 244
Subject: Re: Transfer from B&H to SB and taxes Date: 1/21/2002 4:00 PM
I'm not the tax guy, but yes, you can use the losses to offset any gains you have had during the year.

Cheers -

george

Thanks george.

gt5037c

Author: singingwall One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 243 of 244
Subject: Re: Transfer from B&H to SB and taxes Date: 1/31/2002 6:23 PM
The accounts I have at B&H are custodial accounts. Do you know if there is anything special that has to be done to transfer accounts?

Thanks.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement