UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Hillmp Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: Transfer SEP IRA to Roth? Date: 7/9/2002 3:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'd only been at my workplace for a little over a year, when they set up a new retirement plan (401K) that effectively replaced the old plan (SEP IRA). That is, they would no longer make contributions into the old plan.

I had received some money into the SEP IRA that I had left in cash as the market dropped.

I have the option to transfer the money into the 401K. But given the greater investment flexibility, I'm wondering if I could transfer it into a Roth IRA?

I realize I would have to pay taxes on the amount. Are the any other costs or penalties involved with such a transfer?

Any pros or cons you can think of?

With thanks,
Michael
Print the post Back To Top
Author: WPatch Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34805 of 75383
Subject: Re: Transfer SEP IRA to Roth? Date: 7/9/2002 4:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello Michael,

I'd only been at my workplace for a little over a year, when they set up a new retirement plan (401K) that effectively replaced the old plan (SEP IRA). That is, they would no longer make contributions into the old plan.

I had received some money into the SEP IRA that I had left in cash as the market dropped.

I have the option to transfer the money into the 401K. But given the greater investment flexibility, I'm wondering if I could transfer it into a Roth IRA?

Yes. It is already in a traditional IRA.

I realize I would have to pay taxes on the amount. Are the any other costs or penalties involved with such a transfer?

No.

Any pros or cons you can think of?

Conversion to Roth usually only makes sense if you will be in equal or higher tax bracket at retirement.

Separate IRAs are normally only cost effective if they will contain at least $500.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement