Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121100  
Subject: Transfer Stock Date: 6/10/2003 4:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
A couple of years ago, I worked at an Internet startup company that had an IPO. As an employee, I had the option to buy shares at the IPO price less 15%.

My father and brother-in-law each gave me some money to buy some stock for them as well. Looking back, I would never do this again for various reasons but I did it. The stock is in my name to this date and has lost nearly all of it's value.

Granted we aren't talking about a lot of money here but is there a way for me to transfer this stock to them so they can realize the loss on their taxes if they decide to sell it. I had asked them awhile back and they both said for me just to keep holding it but I want this stock out of my portfolio so I can wash my hands of it.

So my questions are,

1. How do I transfer the stock to them?
2. Are there any tax implications to transferring this stock to them?
3. What is their cost basis for the stock?

I don't know a lot about this so I appreciate any information. Thanks.

dt
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement