No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, Fellow Fools:
Is it allowable to transfer (journal) securities from a regular Brokerage Account to a Roth IRA? I know that my IRA contribution is limited to income only. I make the maximum allowable Roth IRA contribution from my income each year. However, I must wait until the new year to make that Roth contribution. For example, I have already made my max Roth contribution for 2005, meaning I must wait until January of 2006 to make my next contribution.
I would like to put some of that money(income) to work between now and then-perhaps by investing it in my regular Brokerage Account. In January 2006 (or later), can I journal my original investment in those securities over to my IRA since it would be from income I made? If not, can I (less preferable) sell the securities and transfer my original investment amount in cash to my Roth IRA?
I'm certain my broker will do this mechanically for me-I'm just wondering about the tax implications.

Thanks in Advance,

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.