Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm a UK teacher who moved over here a couple of years ago. Now that I intend to make the USA my home, I'd like to explore the possibility of moving my UK teacher's superannuation over to the USA, where I have more control over its growth prospects. I have a Roth IRA and this would seem to be the ideal place for my UK pension, however, my research so far would indicate that this transfer would not be possible.

I understand, from posting on the retirement investing message board, (and other boards here and on the UK MF site) that unless the money comes from a tax-qualified retirement plan, recognized by the IRS, there can be no possibility of a transfer. It appears no foreign plan meets that proviso, so that would seem to preclude any transfer to a US tax retirement vehicle.

Are there any UK teachers/expats living in the USA who have tried to transfer their pension from the UK, and what degree of success have you had? Have you found other options?

I've contacted Mowden Hall (UK teachers superannuation administrators) about this but, so far, they have not been much help.

Thanks, Dennis

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.