Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: denpr One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19378  
Subject: Transfer UK teacher's superannuation to USA Date: 6/14/2001 11:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm a UK teacher who moved over here a couple of years ago. Now that I intend to make the USA my home, I'd like to explore the possibility of moving my UK teacher's superannuation over to the USA, where I have more control over its growth prospects. I have a Roth IRA and this would seem to be the ideal place for my UK pension, however, my research so far would indicate that this transfer would not be possible.

I understand, from posting on the retirement investing message board, (and other boards here and on the UK MF site) that unless the money comes from a tax-qualified retirement plan, recognized by the IRS, there can be no possibility of a transfer. It appears no foreign plan meets that proviso, so that would seem to preclude any transfer to a US tax retirement vehicle.

Are there any UK teachers/expats living in the USA who have tried to transfer their pension from the UK, and what degree of success have you had? Have you found other options?

I've contacted Mowden Hall (UK teachers superannuation administrators) about this but, so far, they have not been much help.

Thanks, Dennis

Print the post Back To Top
Author: aditya Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6988 of 19378
Subject: Re: Transfer UK teacher's superannuation to USA Date: 7/2/2001 12:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am just curious to know what makes you think it is better to retire in USA on a teacher's retirement savings as opposed to some one else who posted earlier from Sweden and who appears to be pretty well off anywhere.

In general the retirees from US are the ones who seek to live abroad due to lower cost of living compared to US.

I would rather like you to tell us how can a retiree from US live in UK to take advantage of its universal health plan.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement