Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a problem that I hope someone out there can help me with.

My GF's mother is giving us a car. The car is currently registered in mother's name, in NC. GF is going to drive the car to NJ, where we will sign the title and get the car registered. Since GF and I are not married, the car must be in my name to be on same policy as our current car, so I can't sign until title gets to NJ.

The question comes down to insurance. The company that currently insures the car (GEICO), says that GF is not covered as a driver. Our insurance company cannot issue insurance until the car is in our name, but that GF should be covered, as the insurance covers the car, not the person.

Has anyone dealt with this type of problem before, or know enough about insurance to give some help?

Print the post  


Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.