UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fallsflyer Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76080  
Subject: Transferring funds Date: 3/16/2004 10:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am considering transferring two of my IRA accounts to another Investment firm in which I currently hold an IRA. Are there any tax consequences or IRA penalties that I need to be concerned about?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39844 of 76080
Subject: Re: Transferring funds Date: 3/16/2004 12:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Welcome, fallsflyer. Glad you could join us.

No, as long as you do direct custodian to custodian transfers, no taxes are due and there are no penalties. To arrange this transfer, contact the firm you want to receive the accounts. Usually they have forms to fill out and they will do the rest.

If you do receive a check for the account balance, then you must be careful to deposit it in the new account within the time limit--60 days I think, and if withholding was taken from the payment, you must replace those funds in the account or pay taxes and penalties on that amount as a penalty distribution. That's the reason to do the direct transfer if you can.

Author: dougdoogle Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39850 of 76080
Subject: Re: Transferring funds Date: 3/16/2004 4:02 PM
>>>I am considering transferring two of my IRA accounts to another Investment firm in which I currently hold an IRA. Are there any tax consequences or IRA penalties that I need to be concerned about?<<<

No tax consequences or IRA penalties but be aware there may be exit fees from the investment firm you are leaving. Perhaps $50 per account, perhaps nothing. If you can, consider combining your two IRA's before transfer if there is fee.

Doug

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39851 of 76080
Subject: Re: Transferring funds Date: 3/16/2004 5:35 PM
No tax consequences or IRA penalties but be aware there may be exit fees from the investment firm you are leaving.

This is true assuming you handle the transfer correctly. If you don't, then you will have to pay taxes on all of it. It's not hard, just be careful.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement