No. of Recommendations: 0
My son is going to the Boy Scout Jamboree. I'm trying to figure out the best way for him to take $$ along. I'm woefully ignorant about check cards or pre-funded credit cards. Any advice would be appreciated!

My son is 15 years old and kind of scatterbrained -- he loses lots of stuff.

Gail
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Going with the theme of the day, I'd sugest a suitcase full of pennies.

It's very hard to lose 600 lbs of change.

mz00m
My son is going to the Boy Scout Jamboree. I'm trying to figure out the best way for him to take $$ along. I'm woefully ignorant about check cards or pre-funded credit cards. Any advice would be appreciated!

How much money are we talking about? If it's $50 I'd give him cash (20 $1 bills and 3 tens) and get him a simple, light weight "money belt" -- I have one that weighs nothing and fits under my clothes. I also have the kind that fits around my neck and inside my top. If it's more, I'd get him a debit card with the exact right amount. He won't lose it unless you say that you expect him to lose it -- he won't want to disappoint you.

I lose lots of stuff too, so maybe your kid and I should follow each other around. It might save us both a lot of trouble and teach us a lot. ;-)
Is this for in the car on the way, or at the Jamboree? I can't see him being able to use credit at a camp, but who knows these days.
Is this for in the car on the way, or at the Jamboree? I can't see him being able to use credit at a camp, but who knows these days.

Actually, the boys are going to the Jamboree and on an extended trip. They will fly to the East coast and attend the Jamboree. They will travel to New York, Washington, D.C., etc. I think most meals will be covered, but 15-year-old boys can eat a lot. And he should have some amount of spending $$. So, I think he should have, maybe, $100.

Gail
No. of Recommendations: 1
"My son is 15 years old and kind of scatterbrained -- he loses lots of stuff."

Mine was that way too (he's 19 now and amazingly self-sufficient in his own way), and when I became a single parent and had to give him his own set of house keys at age 9, I was sure I'd become a frequent flyer at the localy locksmith. Amazingly he only lost one set of keys after about 4 years.

I think somehow they know what's important--I mean really important--and manage to hang on to it. We did put the keys on a string that he wore under his clothes whenever he left the house--became automatic to have them--so perhaps the money belt suggestion could work.

And I think your $ estimate is a good one. 15 yo's eat an amazing amount!

I hope it goes well!

Best,
Barbara

Cash is one thing that even most absent-minded people are pretty careful about. Get him a wallet if he doesn't already have one. But he's certainly old enough that you shouldn't try to over-protect him from his own carelessness in this situation. If he loses it, he loses out.

No. of Recommendations: 3
I think he should have, maybe, $100.

That doesn't sound like an outrageous amount for a 15 year old to be carrying in cash. But if you were really worried, you could get him traveler's checks. That way he could get a replacement if he loses them, and he would have to take the initiative while still on the road. It would be a good lesson in responsibility.

Still, I may be a guy, but it doesn't seem like much to worry about here. If he loses his money, he'll miss out on some meals and go hungry. Not a horrible lesson for him to learn. I think he's probably a little old to be fussed over like this.
Advertisement