Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: HidingOut Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 193218  
Subject: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 1:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I can book a flight to London in March for a week for $700 round trip (probably $800 with landing fees and such). I've always wanted to take the train to Scotland. I wonder how mcuh the whole trip would cost. .....Lee
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46602 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 3:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"I can book a flight to London in March for a week for $700 round trip (probably $800 with landing fees and such). I've always wanted to take the train to Scotland. I wonder how mcuh the whole trip would cost. .....Lee "

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Although I can't say I have experience with this sort of activity, I believe there will be an extra flight charge for the train.

They would probably not allow it as a carry on.

But do you think the train will really appreciate being taken to Scotland? I'd really suggest going with another person. Trains are not good conversationalists ------

clickity-clack,

clickity clack.

Author: gslts Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46606 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 6:38 AM
Lee
Do it!!

We lived in England for a little over a year, and one trip we did take was to take the train up the west coast, to Glasgow, then on up to Inverness. Spent a couple of nice days there then came back down the east coast. If you go in summer be prepared for a lot longer day. In the north you can go out at 11:30PM and there is still twilight, and then the sum comes back up about 0300. There is a nice bit with the trains if you are going to be there a bit and have family traveling with you. The family rail pass was one full fare, one half fare, and children traveled for one pound. Made the trip relatively inexpensive. You can get the pass at most every train station and they are good for a year. I think the pass was 26 pounds.

Author: starrcrossd Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46607 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 7:54 AM
I can book a flight to London

You mean there are other countries???? Wow, I thought those were just stories.

Starr...never had a passport, probably never will

Author: gslts Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46608 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 7:57 AM
Star,
You owe it to your self to get out a little more. There are some greate places to see, and experience.

Author: starrcrossd Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46609 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 7:59 AM
Star,
You owe it to your self to get out a little more. There are some greate places to see, and experience

You're right, but people always want money for such things. Being the chronically monitarily challenged person I am, I prefer to feed my kid instead. :)

Starr

Author: redhed Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46610 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 8:30 AM
I can book a flight to London in March for a week for $700 round trip (probably $800 with landing fees and such).

Lee,

That sounds awfully high. My daughter found a deal to Paris from LA in February for $299. Why don't you do some checking around and see if you can do any better?

Just a Foolish thought.

red

Author: coldfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46615 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 8:52 AM
Recommendations: 2
Funny you should mention that...a good friend of B and his mother are going to London in May...and told B they were taking her with them as a congratulatory gift for making the cut into PT!

~cold

Author: Odee Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46635 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 11:47 AM

You mean you don't need one to visit Texas????

Odee
-I've heared that Texans consider everyone else to be foreigners

Author: starrcrossd Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46638 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 11:58 AM

I guess it's guilt by relation...Mom & Dad live there, so they tolerate me. :D

Starr

Author: Odee Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46639 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 12:01 PM
so they tolerate me

Just like we do....

Odee
-only kidding, kiddo - love having ya here

Author: starrcrossd Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46640 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 12:04 PM
Odee
-only kidding, kiddo - love having ya here

Who had me???? How did I miss it???? Has it been so long that I couldn't tell????

Starr...you asked for a wisecrack after your little remark! ;)

Author: Odee Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46644 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 12:13 PM
Who had me????

The entire board ;)

How did I miss it????

See next one.

Has it been so long that I couldn't tell????

Done in a flash...did ya like it?? Where's that cigarette.

Odee
-need to go get some gas and lunch...okay, gas for the truck too

Author: starrcrossd Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46648 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 12:20 PM
Done in a flash...did ya like it?? Where's that cigarette.

I got board banged and missed it? Wow, does say much for the sexual prowess around here does it? I did just mention a few posts back that I like it slow..didn't I.

Starr....don't finish that cigarrette around the gaseous clouds!

Author: HidingOut Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46650 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 12:29 PM
That sounds awfully high. My daughter found a deal to Paris from LA in February for $299

Red - Really, $300 round trip?. Where did she look if you know....Lee

Author: redhed Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46665 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 1:36 PM
Red - Really, $300 round trip?. Where did she look if you know....Lee

Lee,

I've sent her an email message and will let you know when I've received a reply. She probably found her deal back in December, but we'll find out. She's good at farreting out these deals, so I'm sure she'll come up with some suggestions.

In the meantime, I've found out about a British Airways deal going on:

Purchase your round-trip European sale ticket with British Airways and enjoy a free London stopover on a two-night stay. In most cases, the sale rates below are an average of $25-$30 higher than the lowest possible price available. It would be hard to find London hotel accommodations at that small amount. That makes this offer particulary attractive. Should you choose to skip the London stopover, BA will give you $100 to apply to a hotel elsewhere in Europe.

I also saw this:

Europe
• $338 London, Birmingham
• $412 Brussels, Frankfurt, Zurich
• $432 Paris
• $402 Madrid, Barcelona
• $447 Amsterdam
• $411 Manchester
• $467 Rome
A 14-day advance purchase is required. Travel Mon.-Thurs. in each direction or add $25 more each way. Stay at least one Sat. night or up to a month. No blackout dates. All travel must be completed by March 20th.

Codes: American, NLX14E4B; Air France, LLXSAL12; British Airways, NLXSALE7; Continental, TLX72SE; Delta, ULXSL11; Iberia, NLX14EU; KLM/NWA, QLXSL43; Sabena, VLXSLS7; Lufthansa, WLXSX1

These fares are probably applicable from Atlanta, but it wouldn't hurt to check into them from your part of the planet.

regards, redhed

Author: redhed Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46667 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 1:37 PM
farreting

duh ... should've been ferreting

Author: coldfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46671 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 1:42 PM
She's good at farreting out these deals...

For a second or two, I thought that said "...farting out these deals..."

8oO

Author: redhed Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46672 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 1:42 PM
That was quick. She responded:

www.travelocity.com, on Air Liberte. $299 RT LAX to CDG. Plus, I had a $100-off voucher from Webmiles. :)

Hope that helps.

Author: HidingOut Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46695 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 2:14 PM
on Air Liberte

In LA and NY you have these kinds of Airlines going over the pond, but not from Seattle. Atlanta is a lot closer to London than Seattle. Still, I appreciate the ideas as I thought $700 round trip was unbelievable ($3000+ std fare), but now I know I might do better - if I decide to go....Lee

Author: branik Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46727 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 7:42 PM
Recommendations: 2
Hi Lee!

I'm redhed's daughter ... when she emailed me this AM saying someone wanted to know where I found the cheap airfare, I knew it was probably for the TMF. So, I did a quick search, and found your message. :) <Hi, Mom!>

Anyway, I don't know what city you're located in, but you can do way better than $800 to London right now. All the airfares are offerring great deals.

www.expedia.com has a fare on American for $295 from NYC to London, leaving March 7th & returning March 20th. Also, on the Expedia web site, after you enter your trip information, you'll see a banner ad at the top of the page that links to a fare sale with British Airways. Here are some sample fares that BA is offerring right now:

New York–London: $218
New York–Paris: $285
New York–Amsterdam: $283
Chicago–London: $278
Chicago–Paris: $345
Los Angeles–Paris: $435
Los Angeles–London: $368

I didn't pay close attention to the deadlines (I'm in a hurry) but believe you have to buy the tickets by the end of January. I think travel is valid until March 20 or something.

Expedia has a feature called Fare Watcher, where you enter your three favorite destinations and they email the fares to you once a week or so. Sydney is on my Fare Watcher, and right now it's $819 from LAX (my home city.)

I also hear Lufthansa is having a sale right now.

I also like www.travelocity.com, which also has an email fare watcher and that's how I found my $299 fare to Paris.

I also subscribe to Webmiles. Basically, a lot of different merchants (LL Bean, Wine.com, REI, Dell, etc ...) are partners with Webmiles, and everytime you spend a dollar, you earn a mile or two. The local supermarket in LA, Ralph's, is in the Webmiles program, so everytime I go grocery shopping and use my Ralph's card, I earn miles. I had enough miles to get a $100-off voucher, so I'm using that on this trip, and am only spending $250 on airfare. ($299 + taxes - voucher.) Damn, baby! *does the happy dance*

I also like www.smarterliving.com and subscribe to their email list.

As for train fare to Scotland, it looks like about 6-7 hours on the train ... a quick search on Rail Europe (www.raileurope.com) shows that London to Edinburgh, second class, is $121. However, if you are planning to travel to other destinations in Britain besides Scotland, it may be worth the money to buy a BritRail Pass. However the coach (bus) is cheaper - it takes 8 1/2 hours to go from London Victoria to Edinburgh, but only costs $36 one way ($53 RT.) www.britbus.com

You can get some really great travel tips & information on Lonely Planet's bulletin board, The Thorn Tree -http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com.

London as a whole is pretty expensive but you can do it on a shoestring budget. I really like the youth hostel in Holland Park, it's $20 a night, dorm-style rooms. However, I recommended it to a friend, and he complained that it was loud (hey, I'm deaf - what do I know???) Plus, all the museums - the V&A, the British Natural History, the Tate -- they're FREE! If you're going to be in London for 3 or more days it's worth the money to buy a Travelcard for the Tube -- I think it's 20 pounds for unlimited Tube travel for 4 days, or something like that.

If you are a teacher or a student you can qualify for a Council Travel membership, which is $18 a year and entitles you to the low Council Travel airfares & your Council Travel ID Card will give you the student discount with car rental companies, museums, hotels, etc ... www.counciltravel.com.

OK, that's all I can think of right now. This should get you started on finding a much better airfare.

Good luck and happy traveling!
Kathryn

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46729 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 7:49 PM
I'm redhed's daughter ...

Hi, Kathryn!

Nice to see you here. I heard about your time in Tuscany (proud Moms talk about their kids, just a little bit). A couple of months ago, Frances Mayes spoke at our local community center, and I thought of you.
Hope to see more of you.

~~ Alison

Author: branik Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46730 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/17/2002 9:00 PM
Hi Alison,

Frances Mayes lived in the same village as I did (Cortona,) in fact, I used to walk by her house daily. Never met her, but I did meet her husband on occassion and we had lunch once. He's very nice.

I sure miss that place!

Kathryn

Author: acm4tax Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46734 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/18/2002 1:03 AM
Lee,

I checked fares on www.orbitz.com and found a fare for $450.00 from Seattle to London.

Some times I also find good fares on www.lowestfare.com.

But today for your flight to London, Orbitz had the better fares.

Hope you know you need to walk around abit on this trip to keep the circulation going. So a couple of stops along the way will give you an opportunity to stretch your legs a bit. Try to ask for the seat either by the emergency exit or just behind first class where you'll have more leg room.

Arleen
*remembering her swollen legs when she flew to Hawaii 2 years ago.*

Author: Professor9 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46754 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/18/2002 7:45 AM

Odee

I've encountered that scenario...

Prof
*who has now visited another foreign nation, apparently*

Author: Odee Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46768 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/18/2002 8:41 AM
I'm redhed's daughter

Hi Kathryn,

I hope your Mom doesn't mind you hanging around the board, you're more than welcome to stay or visit as often as you can.

Odee

Author: photon99 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46769 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/18/2002 8:44 AM
Lee,

Instead of traveling so far, I think you should allocate your travel dollars here instead:

http://www.madonnainn.com/tour/index.asp

;-D

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46771 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/18/2002 9:01 AM

Oh, my!

~~ Alison

Author: HidingOut Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46779 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/18/2002 9:32 AM
Instead of traveling so far, I think you should allocate your travel dollars here instead:

Ehwuuuuuu. I thought "Yosemite sounds nice", but it isn't. I tried "San Francisco" and a few more. Not my cup'a'tea. Niether is London, particularly - I was just "floored" by the fare. However, since Red and her noisy daughter have ruined that find for me, I'll probably just stay home.....Lee

Author: starrcrossd Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46782 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/18/2002 9:41 AM
. However, since Red and her noisy daughter have ruined that find for me, I'll probably just stay home.....Lee

On behalf fo Red and her lovely daughter, stay home and climb a tree you grouch! :P

Starr...trying to return the caped crusader routine even though he's joking.

Author: 5walker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46814 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/18/2002 11:24 AM
Ehwuuuuuu. I thought "Yosemite sounds nice", but it isn't.

You don't have to rough it there, Lee. The Lodge is very nice, simple, and cheap, and everyone should at least visit the Awahnee Hotel once in their lives and have dinner.

It's one of those places people say there's so much to do, and it's really true, but not in some group nature-walk way. It's things like wonderful bike trails and hiking trails (at different levels of difficulty) that you can do alone or with someone close and just not talk. The whole place is really like a picture postcard (by Ansel Adams of course), with wonderful flat sunny meadows, and of course the spectacular mountains punctuated here and there by a silvery waterfall. Do go, but after the summer season when there aren't so many people. Bring some books, take some slow thinking walks, rent a bike, and enjoy Nature's works.

Author: TexSilver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46824 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/18/2002 11:54 AM

Yep, we do!

Tex, an expatriate living in exile

Author: redhed Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46870 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/18/2002 3:36 PM
Hi Kathryn,

I hope your Mom doesn't mind you hanging around the board, you're more than welcome to stay or visit as often as you can.

Odee

I don't mind at all ... in fact, I get to hear more from her this way. Once they're grown, you don't see them enough.

She's a very experienced European traveler and has low cost travel down to a science, so she's an excellent resource.

red *proud mama since 1973*

Author: Odee Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46877 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/18/2002 3:51 PM
red *proud mama since 1973*

I had no doubts about that! I've spent a whole (Bob notice the w) week in Paris back in 1976...that is the extent of my European travel. Wonder where all the picture of me in the leather coat at Sacre Cour(I know I spelt that wrong) went???

Odee
-it's one trip I can remember...

Author: HidingOut Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46898 of 193218
Subject: Re: Travel Plans? Date: 1/18/2002 5:30 PM
I've spent a whole week in Paris back in 1976...it's one trip I can remember...

I vaguely remember Paris. I think I was there twice, once for a summer. Amsterdam is a total loss.....Lee

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement