Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: NiceI Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 32852  
Subject: Travelin' solo Date: 6/16/2011 11:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I have almost always been a single-person traveler and never had a problem with doing my own thing-going where I want to go, doing what I want to do. My Mom used to worry, but, well, she was my Mom, so it was what it was.

But as I get "older" (mid-40's), my friends seem to be developing a strange tick where they worry about me when I travel alone and I'm starting to wonder where it's coming from? Case in point-I just took a week long trip down to Reno. I left on Wednesday, driving, and camped out for 2 days before heading into Reno for 5 days. Had a friend couple who had a graduation to go to in Sacramento, so they drove there first, then I met up with them in Reno on Saturday AM. Another friend couple flew down to Reno for the weekend. Not a terribly long way from Washington, I've made the drive many times and further. We had a blast! No 5th wheel feeling, they've long since learned not to try to hook me up, super nice people I've known for years, I learned 2 new games (Craps and Let it Ride!), and really enjoyed the company and trip.

So, couple #2 flew home, fine. The other couple and I were driving, but they drive way faster-I like to look at the scenery while I drive. So I told them not to wait for me-if they want to go faster-GO! They're gone as soon as we get gas and leave the station, fine. Before I've even made it to Mt. Shasta, I've got a text from couple #2 who are at the airport waiting to board-"Everything OK?" "All's well, just cruising through the mountains, enjoying the scenery." Why would it be otherwise? And......what are you going to do about it if it's not? Couple #1 stops for gas somewhere near Mt Shasta, I get another text-"Construction delay on I-5 at Weed, watch for it. Where are you? Everything OK?" Same response. I've got a AAA card in my wallet, personal protection just under the front seat, an emergency road kit and all of my camping gear and leftover food in the back of my car if I'm stranded for a night.....or 5, if necessary. I know how to change a flat tire, etc, etc. Been on my own for 20 years now, I've got all my bases as covered as anyone!

Couple #2 gets home, I get another text-"Home now. Call us when you stop so we know you're OK." I comply out of courtesy, but.....eh? What's with the concern?

Not complaining, I love it that I have such wonderful, dear friends who care about me, but I just am wondering where all the concern is coming from all of a sudden? Is a broken down car easier to deal with with 2 people in the car than 1? And why now? I've driven all over the western US, been gone for weeks at a time. Now I hit 45 and all of a sudden, I'm at risk for trouble on the road? What risk? I've hit more deer than anyone I know (3. Very sad, but only the last one did any real damage to my car) but I haven't had a ticket in 15 years so I'm as good a driver as anyone and anyone can have a problem on the road.

Love, love, love the solo travel experience, guess I just need to toughen up to the coddling of friends as I get older!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32826 of 32852
Subject: Re: Travelin' solo Date: 6/18/2011 2:00 PM
Recommendations: 1
my friends seem to be developing a strange tick where they worry about me when I travel alone

they are just projecting their own insecurities onto you.
As in how they would feel were they alone on the road.
Somehow, the seat-of-your-pants solo travel loses its appeal for some when one gets older.

Answer their texts, be polite, and enjoy.

peace & going it alone
t

Author: NiceI Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32827 of 32852
Subject: Re: Travelin' solo Date: 6/19/2011 9:36 PM
Recommendations: 0
I understand. Believe me, these are very dear friends, I would never (deliberately) do anything that would cause them worry. I just thought it was so interesting that after all these years of traveling and them knowing me so well, that they'd pick ~this~ trip to worry about me!

I was talking with one of the friends last night and she had an interesting perspective-that while we were driving home, she still thought of us all as still "on vacation," so still felt like we were still "together" and should all still be communicating with each other. That was a nice thought that I hadn't really considered.

I figure I'll be traveling a lot more-albeit solo-with my friends in the future, so I just need to change my perspective and expectations. It may take a little adjustment on my part, I'm not used to coordinating with other people, but it's worth it.

Author: Odee Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32828 of 32852
Subject: Re: Travelin' solo Date: 6/22/2011 10:17 AM
Answer their texts, be polite, and enjoy.

Which for me is usually followed by "you're not driving and texting right?" lmao

As a solo traveler, my friends will ask me to check in from time to time. A few years ago I drove from Flaggstaff through Sedona on my way back to Phoenix (my brother and the others went on to the Grand Canyon) - an absolute gorgeous ride that had me think two things 1) would be nice to share the scenery with a friend and 2) still not a bad drive to enjoy solo on my own schedule :) Since I was in AZ, my friends on the east coast didn't know my schedule so there was no checking on how I was doing.

Author: Waterfelon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32829 of 32852
Subject: Re: Travelin' solo Date: 6/22/2011 11:40 AM
Beautiful country! They were having wildfires somewhere near Flagstaff last time I was that way a few years ago so they made us detour through some side roads and stuff. I don't remember how the route went, but it was really nice off the beaten path of I-40. I don't mind company on trips like that, but I tend to be a gawker, so am not much of a talker while I'm sitting back, driving along enjoying the scenery!

Author: lucky357 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32844 of 32852
Subject: Re: Travelin' solo Date: 10/17/2011 8:40 AM
I know the feeling! It's hard to not feel like everyone thinks your incompetent. Everytime I ride my motorcycle everyone wants me to let them know I get home safe. They would feel very guilty if something did happen and they didn't know about it.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement