UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lucky1108 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21132  
Subject: Travelling to a funeral by air Date: 1/11/2005 2:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi - I've never been on this board before, mostly just read a few of the investing boards. But a relative is about to pass away, and I need to learn how to get air tickets under these circumstances.

I've heard that there are special travel rates for this situation. How do I find out? Is it something I look for on the airline website or what?

When the time comes, and they think it'll be in January, I need to go from Central Illinois (I'll probably drive to Indianapolis if that makes easier) to North Carolina (either Raleigh or Charlotte, it's in between them) on about 24 hours notice.

Then there's car rental and hotels to think about too.

Many years ago, I helped a co-worker do this. The airlines helped, but now the internet has replaced the perosn at the other end of the telephone call. And 9-11 changed a lot of things. On top of that, I had a traffic accident 4 years ago which cost me some memory, and I don't recall how I did a lot of things which I halfway remember doing.

If anyone has needed to travel in these circumstances recently and can give me some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5398 of 21132
Subject: Re: Travelling to a funeral by air Date: 1/11/2005 3:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
If anyone has needed to travel in these circumstances recently and can give me some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Check this thread from a whole back on bereavement fares:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=18662023&sort=whole

Christina

Author: JavaTraveler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5399 of 21132
Subject: Re: Travelling to a funeral by air Date: 1/11/2005 3:30 PM
Recommendations: 3
I've heard that there are special travel rates for this situation. How do I find out? Is it something I look for on the airline website or what?

Hi,

First of all you have to understand that berevement fares are usually discounted off the highest fare of the airline. It is not always the best deal, but it gives you flexibility in some cases. Check with the airlines to see what their lowest rates are. If they can wiave fare rules, be prepared to provide details so they can verify what you are telling them. On the surface this seems rude, but you have no idea how many people I caught in lies when I worked for Southest. In some cases, people were urged to lie simply to get $40 off a fare.

When you call an airline, ask about all the options, and be patient. The reservations agent has a lot to sort through in order to help you.

Charlie

Author: pekinrobin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5400 of 21132
Subject: Re: Travelling to a funeral by air Date: 1/11/2005 6:53 PM
You call the airline and ask for a bereavement fare. Be aware that bereavement fares can be and often are more than the regular discount fares you can get just by using SideStep or another "search for the low fare" service.

Author: lucky1108 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5401 of 21132
Subject: Re: Travelling to a funeral by air Date: 1/11/2005 7:59 PM
Thanks - I wasn't aware that the fares could be higher - my last flying experience was short notice and the lowest Internet fare I could find was ridiculous. But, things have changed.

I never heard of SideStep, but will look into it.

Many thanks ...

Author: jmcallister One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5402 of 21132
Subject: Re: Travelling to a funeral by air Date: 1/12/2005 11:47 AM
You can fly on Southwest from Indianapolis to Raleigh (via BWI). Looks like the one-way fare is $159. Not their best fare, but not terrible for a last-minute fare.

If you're not particular about what hotel you stay at provided it's in the right town, I'd give hotwire.com a try.

Jon

Author: lucky1108 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5416 of 21132
Subject: Re: Travelling to a funeral by air Date: 1/13/2005 3:21 PM
Thanks for the tip re Southwest. The online search engine I used must not list Southwest, they weren't one of the options I found. And those options started at $295 and went up.

THe actual town I'm heading for is small, Best Western is their 5-star. (I like BW, my kids are pickier, so I'm happy!). It falls off a cliff to the next level of hotel.

Thanks again for the SW info. ... Lucky1108

Author: TMFClimbrfish Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5417 of 21132
Subject: Re: Travelling to a funeral by air Date: 1/13/2005 4:27 PM
Southwest doesn't allow their flights to be listed on the search engine sites, so you'll have to visit them directly....

Author: GromitJS Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5418 of 21132
Subject: Re: Travelling to a funeral by air Date: 1/13/2005 4:45 PM
Lucky,

If you're planning to fly on Southwest you might want to consider what my friend did recently...

some people who are members of Southwest's frequent flyer club (Rapid Rewards) sell their free roundtrip award vouchers on eBay. Technically the award can't be sold but it is fully transferable... soooooo wink-wink, you just tell Southwest that your friend gave you the voucher as a gift. As long as you don't tell Southwest that you bought the voucher on eBay you will not have a problem. On average there is about 40-50 of these vouchers every day being sold, ooooops I mean gifted. Usually the auction price is about $250-$300.

Since Southwest has open seating these vouchers aren't restricted... if there is an open seat on the plane you get it. Very flexible too since there isn't any fee for rescheduling your flight if you need to make a last minute change. Plus, these are consiered one-way vouchers so you can book your outbound and wait til later to book your return flight.

Obviously you want to buy from someone who has a good feedback rating. Do a search for "Southwest voucher"

Gromit

Author: JavaTraveler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5419 of 21132
Subject: Re: Travelling to a funeral by air Date: 1/13/2005 4:54 PM
Recommendations: 3
If you're planning to fly on Southwest you might want to consider what my friend did recently...

some people who are members of Southwest's frequent flyer club (Rapid Rewards) sell their free roundtrip award vouchers on eBay. Technically the award can't be sold but it is fully transferable... soooooo wink-wink, you just tell Southwest that your friend gave you the voucher as a gift. As long as you don't tell Southwest that you bought the voucher on eBay you will not have a problem. On average there is about 40-50 of these vouchers every day being sold, ooooops I mean gifted. Usually the auction price is about $250-$300.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not suggest following this advice. I remember the tale of one person who did such a thing, and found out when she got to the ticket counter is was NOT a valid Rapid Rewards voucher. People get very good at making forged vouchers. Do not...I repeat do not risk this.

Charlie

Author: GromitJS Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5429 of 21132
Subject: Re: Travelling to a funeral by air Date: 1/14/2005 9:17 PM

People get very good at making forged vouchers. Do not...I repeat do not risk this

My original post included the comment...
Obviously you want to buy from someone who has a good feedback rating.

I've had these type of discussions with a close friend... basically they're afraid of buying anything on eBay. I argue that I trust a person on eBay who has 20+ positive feedback reviews more than I trust handing my credit card to a COMPLETE stranger, for example a restaurant waiter who walks away with my credit card or a telephone service rep for any company. At least on eBay I feel comfortable knowing 20+ other people thought this seller was honest.

I'll never understand the logic of why people trust complete strangers more than a well reviewed eBay seller, but that's just my opinion.

Gromit

Author: JPLenny Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5430 of 21132
Subject: Re: Travelling to a funeral by air Date: 1/15/2005 2:34 AM
Recommendations: 1
I've had these type of discussions with a close friend... basically they're afraid of buying anything on eBay. I argue that I trust a person on eBay who has 20+ positive feedback reviews more than I trust handing my credit card to a COMPLETE stranger, for example a restaurant waiter who walks away with my credit card or a telephone service rep for any company. At least on eBay I feel comfortable knowing 20+ other people thought this seller was honest.

I would agree with you, but you still have to be carefull.

I always look closly at the feeback. Aside from being positive, what do the comments say? There are a lot of buyers who will not leave negative feedback because of seller retalitory feedback. Sometime the buyers will leave little hints that all was not perfect on the transaction.

Look at what the seller was actioning. If all the previous auctions were cheap refrigerator magnets and all of the sudden he/she switched to brand new laptops (or something else of much higher value), I'd be concerned bidding on a item from this seller.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement