UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Jennlee222 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35259  
Subject: Treasury Direct - Account Authorization Form? Date: 7/11/2011 8:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I recently tried to register for an account at Treasury Direct, but they said "We are having difficulty verifying the information you provided when opening your account" and told me to submit this form certified by someone at an insured depository institution:

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/pdf/rs/acctauth.pdf

The form says that it needs a corporate seal, signature guarantee stamp, or medallion stamp to certify it (not a notary stamp).

My bank says they can't sign it because they only have a medallion stamp (which is one of the things listed, so I'm assuming it should be fine) but said that if they use it, that will mean that they are liable for up to $250000 of whatever I do on the TD account, which seems strange, because the form just says they are certifying that I'm who I say I am, not that they are taking responsibility for my actions. And this TD form was not in their "list" of documents that they normally use the stamp on.

So basically they wouldn't do it.

They are my main bank, and I don't have open accounts at other brick and mortar banks, and I'm so far a bit hesitant to just try random banks in the area if my own bank that I've banked at for 20 years is giving me problems. I could try another branch, but the woman I dealt with did call someone and was told no, so not sure I'd have success.

Any thoughts? Should they be able to sign and use the medallion stamp just to certify my identity (and not be responsible for my actual transactions on the account)? What can I tell them to make them understand that its just certifying that I'm me? One of the issues is that the form is kind of weird and they didn't seem to understand what it was for and stuff, but my telling them it was so I could buy govt bonds directly seemed not all that helpful.

Jennlee
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement