UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Lokicious Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35345  
Subject: Treasury Direct Question Date: 3/30/2006 10:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does anyone know if you need to sign any forms and mail them back in setting up a new account with T Direct, or if you do the whole thing electronically and can have the whole thing linked with your bank account very quickly? (If I'm going to do T-direct for the next auction, I need to decide whether I'd better get started now or can wait a few days).
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BEC Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16001 of 35345
Subject: Re: Treasury Direct Question Date: 3/30/2006 11:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I just went thru this last month.
After you set up your account in T Direct you can
participate in the next auction (have enough on
deposit in your linked Bank account.) However a hold
will be placed on any withdrawal until you sign a form
that has to have a madallion stamp on it and return via
mail. The hold was released after ten days.

Hope this helps

Author: Lokicious Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16002 of 35345
Subject: Re: Treasury Direct Question Date: 3/30/2006 1:43 PM
"I just went thru this last month.
After you set up your account in T Direct you can
participate in the next auction (have enough on
deposit in your linked Bank account.) However a hold
will be placed on any withdrawal until you sign a form
that has to have a madallion stamp on it and return via
mail. The hold was released after ten days.

Hope this helps"

Pretty hard to think of how a response could be more helpful. Thanks. Exactly what I needed to know.

(I could do it through Vanguard, but if I send a check and yields take a dive so I change my mind, I'd want the money back to go the CD route.)

Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16018 of 35345
Subject: Re: Treasury Direct Question Date: 3/31/2006 12:45 AM
I set up a Treasury Direct account, linked to two of my checking accounts. One was from a credit union, the other was my cash account at Fidelity. The link was immediate. No signature was required.

When I tried to set up a linkage to my Vanguard money market account, the link failed. Whereas the other checking accounts have a unique routing and account number, Vanguard gives the same account number to all the accounts, and distinguishes them by assigning each different fund number. This won't work, with Treasury Direct. The only way to transfer money from Vanguard to Treasury Direct would be by check.

After buying a couple of bills via Treasury Direct, I discovered that Fidelity lists the 3 and 6 month T-Bills on Thursday (the sale is on Monday). Fidelity doesn't charge a commission, for buying T-Bills, at the next auction. I like ordering via Fidelity better than T Direct, for a few reasons.
1. The order is on the next Fidelity statement. T-Direct doesn't send a statement.

2. Fidelity lets you buy T-Bills from your IRA. You can't set up an IRA account, in T-Direct (AFAIK).

3. Ditto for trusts.

It seems that the answer to your question depends upon the exact nature of your source account, since another board member reported that he needed a notarized signature. I didn't need this, either buying from T-Direct from my checking accounts, or buying T-Bills via Fidelity.

Wendy

Author: kfieldjr One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16022 of 35345
Subject: Re: Treasury Direct Question Date: 3/31/2006 7:14 AM
Wendy-
Do you know if Fidelity makes it easy to roll the proceeds from one T-bill to buy the next? How long of a delay is there?

I'm wondering which is the most practical to set up a T-bill ladder. Treasury direct or Fidelity?
Thanks,
Ken

Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16026 of 35345
Subject: Re: Treasury Direct Question Date: 3/31/2006 2:39 PM
<Do you know if Fidelity makes it easy to roll the proceeds from one T-bill to buy the next? How long of a delay is there?

I'm wondering which is the most practical to set up a T-bill ladder. Treasury direct or Fidelity?>

I don't know, because I only just started doing this, about a month ago...on the advice of Lokicious. I still don't know how to roll over a T-Bill on Treasury Direct, and would appreciate it if someone would guide me.

Wendy

Author: jmcjls Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16058 of 35345
Subject: Re: Treasury Direct Question Date: 4/1/2006 11:27 PM
Does anyone know if you need to sign any forms and mail them back in setting up a new account with T Direct, or if you do the whole thing electronically and can have the whole thing linked with your bank account very quickly?

I didn't mail anything in, but I've had my account for a while.

jmc

Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16401 of 35345
Subject: Re: Treasury Direct Question Date: 4/24/2006 2:07 PM
I'm wondering which is the most practical to set up a T-bill ladder. Treasury direct or Fidelity?

still don't know how to roll over a T-Bill on Treasury Direct, and would appreciate it if someone would guide me.

Can't speak for Fidelity, but it's easy to set up a T-bill ladder at TD. When you set up a purchase, tell it to repeat the purchase on a schedule. Tell it that the source of of funds for subsequent purchases is the "Zero-Percent C-of-I". Then set the T-bills to pay out into the 0%CofI. The money will be in the 0% account for a day or two, and then will be rolled over into the next T-bill.

This is mentioned in a FAQ on the site help...but I can't find it.

Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16402 of 35345
Subject: Re: Treasury Direct Question Date: 4/24/2006 2:08 PM
1. The order is on the next Fidelity statement. T-Direct doesn't send a statement.

2. Fidelity lets you buy T-Bills from your IRA. You can't set up an IRA account, in T-Direct (AFAIK).

3. Ditto for trusts.

If you want paper statements, and trust accounts, use Legacy Treasury Direct. Sorry, no IRAs.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement