UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Worksalot Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76397  
Subject: t.Retirement won't happen for me Date: 8/17/2006 11:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
It appears to me that most of you guys are, well, guys. You proabaly are single or have wives who work and/or contribute to your lives otherwise. I am a single mom, like lots of other single moms, raising two daughters. I put myself through vet school 31 years ago and today own my own clinic. I'll be paying back the bank for 20 more years. Nowdays, single women who work also do the shopping, cooking, childcare, cleaning, the yard, the pets, the cars, home repairs, retirement planning, investments,and worry about healthcare. Small business owners are not allowed to deduct their own healthcare. I work 60 to 80 hours a week and with arthritis, struggle with 100 pound retrievers all day long. I provide my employees 100% of their healthcare, offer retirement accounts, flex accounts, continuing education and disability insurance but I am not allowed to have many of those benefits. I was able to get an HSA Blue Cross plan last year at great expense. At 56 years old, they could cancel me at any time for any reason. I will never be able to retire unless healthcare becomes reasonably affordable. I pray everyday that I will not get sick or disabled. Incidently, I have a handicapped child to support.
I'm not asking for sympathy, just the realization that not everyone has choices like you are discussing. I'm lucky to have a great education.
Congress needs to develop a workable healthcare system for those of us not employed by the federal governement. Many, many people are desperate for just basic healthcare coverage. I get very annoyed when I hear congress spending hours talking about whether they should outlaw flag burning. Let's get to some serious issues that affect real people.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement