UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (147) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 726166  
Subject: Re: On second thought, 2828 - Small Cap Issue Date: 1/27/2013 4:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Trey:""Besides Options, I'm evaluating MF Hidden Gems. I have about 35% of my portfolio in small caps and all of this, with the exception of a single small position, is split between IWN and IWO. (These are small cap value and growth stock ETF's, respectively.)"

You're too busy micromanaging things.

I'd go to the Scott Burns site and read up on the Couch Potato portfolio. You can expand that to six ways if you want with the follow up. or now he is up to 10 ways.

http://assetbuilder.com/couch_potato/couch_potato_cookbook

Index funds...index funds....minimize risk. STAY away from funds with high costs.

35% in small caps? OUch!

-------

trey:"I used ETF's for my US small cap asset allocation both to diversify away as much risk as I could, and to save time studying stocks."

Good move. Now, how old are you and how risk averse are you? You got any money in TIPS? or other bonds?

------

trey:" Though IWO and IWN have done very well over the last decade or so, tracking their indeces admirably, I think I'm ready to do a little more work, take a little more rick, and shoot for slightly better returns."

or, more losses.

-----

trey:"The question is this: how many individual positions should one take within a small cap allocation? HG holds a whole ton of tiny positions and many on the boards seem to lean toward "big" numbers (say 20-30 positions) as well. I think the risk can be managed with 10 or fewer within that asset class."

You going to wake up every morning and read the stock news for each of your 30 positions? to make sure no 'bomb' went off over night? ANd then read it again at noon, and in the evening? You actually going to read and understand the annual reports and the notes at the back that really explain what is going on? That can take 10 hours or more per stock to decipher.

------

Keep it simple.

Depending how close to retirement you are.....affects a lot of your choices.

The best way to retire early is to SAVE SAVE SAVE and live below your means...constantly......

t.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (147) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement