Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 15566  
Subject: Trip One Date: 7/18/2012 11:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I head to Burlington VT tomorrow for the Vt-> Quebec trip starting on Sunday. Small airports and summer travel made me add a little leeway to make sure I got there.

I came down to Denver on Monday after two weeks in Steamboat Springs(~6800 ft) and spent a fair amount of time biking up there. I did some regular routes and some new ones(including one that had 1000 ft of climbing). I did over 20 miles(different routes three days in a row). This is the result of me not really having a training plan as well as a few days threatening thunderstorms.

I do think I am ready. I found directions on how to have my Garmin keep info but treat each day separately. By the next trip, I'll have figured out uploading through an iPad but I have too much other stuff going on at the moment.

Nervous ? yes Excited ? Yes !
Print the post Back To Top
Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14934 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 7/19/2012 5:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"Happy Tailwinds", rad.......I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Author: hockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14935 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 7/19/2012 7:24 AM
Recommendations: 0
It just got cooler there by about 10-15 degrees today (7/19). Have a GREAT ride!!!!

Hockeypop

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14940 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 7/21/2012 11:53 AM
Recommendations: 4
I flew into Burlington on Thurs night because you can never tell with summer flying. Both flights were delayed and it felt like an entire day traveling- likely somewhat because of the small time difference.

While waiting for the second flight(not a jet), I met someone heading to Burlington for an Ironman here on Sunday. There was a bit of deflation about my fitness level but it didn't last long.

I spent yesterday just enjoying Burlington(kind of made me think of Boulder in steroids). I took a cruise in Lake Champlain in the early afternoon. I love being on the water and definitely enjoyed the breeze and cooler temps.

This may be the first vacation on my own not attached to visits to family and I kind of like just making my own choices. I did have lunch at a restaurant I last visited in 1983 - on the way to skiing. My daughter was about 18 months then and very soon to make me a grandmother.

More to come as the week progresses.

Author: yeilBagheera Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14944 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 7/24/2012 10:36 PM
Excellent - this is a trip I had contemplated...look forward to hearing details.

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14956 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 8/7/2012 4:43 PM
I’ll give it a C+ and take some of the responsibility for it.

The places we stayed- Topnotch Resort, Inn at Mountain View Farm, Tram Haus Lodge and Manoir Hovey. Very nice except the Inn at Mountain View Farm. It and the Tram Haus Lodge were considered “casual inns” but they were nowhere near the same level. My room at Mtn View Farm was like the ugly stepsister’s – small with a tiny bathroom with only a shower stall. Topnotch and Tram Haus were quite nice and Manoir Hovey was fabulous.

The riding- Here’s where I should have thought harder. I very often ride on back roads that are in mediocre condition but usually have little traffic. On this trip I was riding on some pretty awful back roads(including some dirt) that actually did have traffic. I was usually alone with a not always helpful tip sheet and a cell phone number to call if I wanted to be picked up or needed help. The same support as many of my normal rides w/o tip sheet.

Where there was a huge difference is humidity which I am totally not used to. I somehow thought training at altitude would help balance it and it didn’t. A subsequent conversation with my older son confirmed that-wish we had talked about it a few months ago. Also, showing elevation turned out not to be helpful without steepest grade info, IMHO.

The bike was also an issue. It was titanium but it was not well set for me and I really didn’t know what to do other than raise the seat which didn’t do much. Road bike handlebars and I normally ride on the hoods. My own bike is a womens – smaller hoods/smaller hands so I was already stretching a lot. Also by about the third day, the only way I could move the left shifter was to use the heel of my hand. I lost my chain twice early in the week(This has happened to me maybe twice in 5 years outside of this). I was told all of this was my issue and nothing to do with the bike. Also told it was odd that I normally ride on the hoods(contrary to what I’ve been told at my bike shops).

I am heavy – Rubenseque if you will(not sure if anyone who posts here has met me). There was judgment passed on what I could possibly do and no one believed I had trained for this trip. This was from leaders and participants. It was surprising because I don’t hit that at home(one of the fittest places in the country).

I didn’t do the mileage I had hoped. I did have a great swim in the lake by Manoir Hovey with a woman from the Netherlands.

I should have thought more about the time of year and choice of location. For a trip that I did to help improve my confidence on the bike, I had lost much of what I had built this year.

Once I got home, I hit my bike in Denver and in Steamboat Springs and now I do put a lot of the onus on the trip bike.

Many of the people were from the NYC area so were thrilled to be out in the country. Again, I was not thinking.

If you are thinking about this trip, it may be the right one for you – it just really wasn’t the one for me. I hope the one in Ireland works out better.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14957 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 8/7/2012 6:22 PM
Where there was a huge difference is humidity which I am totally not used to. I somehow thought training at altitude would help balance it and it didn’t...

I could've told you that.

I'm well used to training with humidity but during our mother-daughter trip across country pretty much exactly two years ago, me and baby had a dose of Denver altitude. We both realised you're only good for what it is you train for.

I am heavy – Rubenseque if you will(not sure if anyone who posts here has met me). There was judgment passed on what I could possibly do and no one believed I had trained for this trip. This was from leaders and participants.....

Well, I've given this trip a F- for this alone.

I'm not heavy at all, but I'm "old"......at least in the eyes of some folk (it's me diamond jubilee b-day come September)

Can I ask....is this the group who mentioned that they had folk who graduated to their trip directly from SPINNING classes?

A Pox on them.

Vivienne

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14958 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 8/7/2012 6:37 PM
Also told it was odd that I normally ride on the hoods(contrary to what I’ve been told at my bike shops)....

Isn't that how most folk ride....mostly??

I fancy that I'm a bit like you, rad.....not tremendously experienced by way of decades in the saddle etc. but I think I'm doing it right.....and, for sure, it ain't that hard to get someone set up with a reasonably biomechanically sound position on a bike (goniometer and plumb bob)

I'm reading these accounts of yours because what you're doing sounds like so much fun....and it sees to me that someone's robbed you of the *fun* element.

I bet you any money Ireland's going to be AbFab

Author: hockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14960 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 8/8/2012 7:57 AM
Wow, I've very disappointed FOR you. Can you share the company that you used? These are usually pretty expensive, but they range all over for the level of service (Road Scholar is usually least expensive and can be spotty, but can be super too). We've ridden all over, usually just by ourselves, but were really looking forward to some of these "supported" rides.

I think you are right that humidity can be just as hard as altitude. However, I think it's even harder when you don't have a "buddy" to ride with you. DW and I enjoy going out with others, but ultimately we pace and push ourselves. Sorry, alone with a tip sheet and a cell phone doesn't sound like an exciting ride, especially with the stress of heat and humidity.

I think it's another "knock" on the company that they doubted your fitness. If they advertised this as high speed and fitness levels that's one thing. But DW and I are fit, but will never make it to the ab commercials nor win a bike race. From what you're doing in Colorado, you qualify as fit certainly. We average between 11 and 15 mph, often stop to drink and stretch, and enjoy the scenery of our rides. I'm sorry if our NYC/NJ neighbors didn't make it nice for you. We see all kinds of levels of riders, but mostly bikers are good people.

I was hoping for an A+ because we'd like to do that someday too. Clearly NOT with that group.

Hockeypop

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14961 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 8/8/2012 11:21 AM
I could've told you that.

I would think they might have as well. I called twice to say this is where I am and how I am training - is it enough ? I was assured it was.

Can I ask....is this the group who mentioned that they had folk who graduated to their trip directly from SPINNING classes?

This is the one that had the note in the brochure that spinning classes didn't translate to riding a bike.

I'm not heavy at all, but I'm "old"......at least in the eyes of some folk (it's me diamond jubilee b-day come September)

Meh - I'll be 58 next week ;)

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14962 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 8/8/2012 11:24 AM
Isn't that how most folk ride....mostly??

My son with 12 years of experience says it is and it's how he mostly rides a road bike. Mechanic who fitted my bike said the same.

I'm reading these accounts of yours because what you're doing sounds like so much fun....and it sees to me that someone's robbed you of the *fun* element.

They only got to do it temporarily - I'm back at it and happy on the bike. I am really not good at maps but I am hoping to get a 58 mile ride in next week.

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14963 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 8/8/2012 11:38 AM
Recommendations: 3
Can you share the company that you used?

It was Backroads and I consider it expensive but was hoping for a good value. Manoir Hovey definitely was.

You may have an entirely different experience, particularly as a couple.

I ride alone a lot of the time but I do some group rides when I am in Denver and choose carefully. I consider myself fit - I know I am good for 40 miles with some climbing here. I tend not to do longer rides because I am working on weight loss and when I go all out, I need more time off. My avg speed has been climbing this summer(with some of that attributed to my fearlessness on the downhills;) I'm pretty sure 35 is going to be my max for the moment.

I also have a couple of day rides coming up. This one -http://www.jamthedamz.org/ I did the 50K last year and planning for the 70K this year and http://www.tourofthemoon.com/info.html will be will a friend from Glenwood Springs at least on the course.

I do have to say last week in Denver and earlier this week I had random guys yell "good job" at me which was a great lift.

(and I really didn't mean to wallpaper the board)

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14964 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 8/10/2012 11:31 AM

They only got to do it temporarily - I'm back at it and happy on the bike.

Well, I guess.....

However, from where I'm sitting, it looks like you paid for a "service" with a reasonable expectation of something in return..... and that expectation wasn't too different from what I'd be expecting in your bike shoes and it fell well short.

Would you expect to have a thriving business based on this sort of "service"?

What I wonder is, how can folk deliver so little and expect to benefit from it?

Is this a daft question??

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14971 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 8/19/2012 10:30 AM
Last post on Trip One because Trip Two is not far out(sandwiched between visits to wonderful grandson).

I doubt my experience was the norm but one thing that still concerns me is that I did fill out the post trip survey online and it does seem like my experience and the fact I had another trip booked might compel someone from the company to contact me. That hasn't happened.

One other thing that bothered me(I've been riding a lot with time to think) is that I really think the tip sheets were substandard and I'm not sure they did well picking the routes. It was like they looked at a map but didn't talk to any local cyclists. I know there are roads that might look ride-able both places I live that local cyclists stay away from for one reason or another. There were places that we didn't see other cyclists at all.

I did decide to attend a local bike club's annual meeting in October. It's the one that organized the Katy Trail trip I did 3 or 4 years ago. I'll see what that feels like as a single and see what trips they are thinking of next year.

Author: hockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14972 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 8/20/2012 8:54 AM
I doubt my experience was the norm but one thing that still concerns me is that I did fill out the post trip survey online and it does seem like my experience and the fact I had another trip booked might compel someone from the company to contact me. That hasn't happened.

One other thing that bothered me(I've been riding a lot with time to think) is that I really think the tip sheets were substandard and I'm not sure they did well picking the routes. It was like they looked at a map but didn't talk to any local cyclists. I know there are roads that might look ride-able both places I live that local cyclists stay away from for one reason or another. There were places that we didn't see other cyclists at all.

I did decide to attend a local bike club's annual meeting in October. It's the one that organized the Katy Trail trip I did 3 or 4 years ago. I'll see what that feels like as a single and see what trips they are thinking of next year.

I got the "Backroads" brochure this weekend. Beautiful rides and unbelievably expensive, but they are things I've always dreamed of -- Peru/Machu Picho, the California shore, France, Italy, Danube and more. I'd never use them and won't based upon your experience. For that fee, and many of the pictures show "seniors", it should be bulletproof, and follow-up is expected. UNBELIEVABLE!

Hockeypop

Author: possum2000 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14973 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 8/24/2012 12:53 PM
Pardon me coming late to this thread. ReallyAllDone struck a nerve with me when she talked about the other customers and the trip leaders questioning her "fitness" because of her physical appearance. And it sounds like others have encountered similar due to their age. I have so been there and done that. How to address and fix that?

Educate the trip leaders
Get apologies and follow up from the trip organizers
Preach "tolerance" ? (heh, joking)

Possum

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14977 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 8/26/2012 12:08 PM
<< Pardon me coming late to this thread. ReallyAllDone struck a nerve with me when she talked about the other customers and the trip leaders questioning her "fitness" because of her physical appearance. And it sounds like others have encountered similar due to their age. I have so been there and done that. How to address and fix that? >>

Unfortunately, it sounds like the OP was unprepared and inadequately conditioned for the ride and tour. She takes responsibility for that and had a poor experience as a result of that.

How about the other people who paid for a quality tour? Usually a weak, unconditioned rider is going to impact the experiences of other people as well.

I don't find it surprising that an obviously overweight person on a poor fitting bicycle who also happened to be inexperienced in riding on dirt roads and in traffic, and inadequately conditioned for heat, humidity, altitude and endurance is going to excite some comments.

I might add to that list lack of experience in choosing a suitable tour.

It's unfortunate when people sign up for outings when they lack the experience, equipment and conditioning to do properly. I've had that happen as a trip leader, and it's burdensome for the leader and impacts what the rest of the group can do.

<<How to address and fix that?>>

First, choose trips that you have the equipment, conditioning and experience to do in good style.

The OP had a poor experience here because she lacked the experience to choose a suitable trip. Hopefully that will be remedied in the future.

Cycling outings aren't an egalitarian experience. That goes for hiking, backpacking, climbing and a lot of other outdoor activities. You need to be prepared for the activity that is planned.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: yeilBagheera Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14978 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 8/26/2012 3:39 PM
My understanding is that this was a fully equipped tour and the bicycle was provided by the tour operator.

Author: hockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14979 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 8/27/2012 3:08 PM
Recommendations: 3
SP,

While I agree with you I really don't think this was the case here (and I'm taking your post out-of-order):
First, choose trips that you have the equipment, conditioning and experience to do in good style.

The OP had a poor experience here because she lacked the experience to choose a suitable trip. Hopefully that will be remedied in the future.

Cycling outings aren't an egalitarian experience. That goes for hiking, backpacking, climbing and a lot of other outdoor activities. You need to be prepared for the activity that is planned.

While I agree but:

I don't find it surprising that an obviously overweight person on a poor fitting bicycle who also happened to be inexperienced in riding on dirt roads and in traffic, and inadequately conditioned for heat, humidity, altitude and endurance is going to excite some comments.

I might add to that list lack of experience in choosing a suitable tour.

It's unfortunate when people sign up for outings when they lack the experience, equipment and conditioning to do properly. I've had that happen as a trip leader, and it's burdensome for the leader and impacts what the rest of the group can do.

Reallyalldone really DID plan for this tour. We had this entire thread where she discussed conditioning, conditions and more. How may of us have planned for a trip by riding 30 miles a day three days a week at altitude?
http://boards.fool.com/more-or-longer-30110777.aspx?sort=who...
Training, people. I'm having a good week(been riding the Cape Cod Rail Trail and staying near the middle). The tours I am doing are mid-July and mid-Sept and have 3 distance/elevation choices a day. Depending on the elevation, I would like to do 40-50 miles a day.

I've done 30ish 3 times this week with 2 of them on consecutive days(I learned a little about fueling after that first day nonconsecutive first day.) While my legs are a bit tired on the second day, the real issue is seat time. If I want to extend my seat tolerance, do I want to bike more often or do longer distances?

Heck, I'm a little overweight too, but DW and I did 76 miles over two days last weekend because we do bike regularly.

Then, and this is where my problem REALLY lies, she took a tour with a group that I've been salivating to save my money and use. THIS is supposed to be the absolute first class. After you look at the site, look at their prices AND their invitation to singles. Also, the bikes are described as among the best in the world.
www.backroads.com

I get their brochures and there are pictures of ALL people who look like DW and me, and I'm guessing Reallyalldone. It's outrageous prices because they "have three guides and two vans."

http://www.backroads.com/why/choice/companion_classic.html#
Multiple daily routes give you the freedom to access the best of a region at your own pace. Every day of every trip we provide a variety of well-researched options which are displayed on the Web and include mileage and elevation change. Every option comes with directions and is fully supported.

Two vans, three leaders, thoughtful trip design, multiple route options with directions and a choice of riding companions—each and every person is supported equally, regardless of ability.

I don't need to be her apologist, but I just don't know how a "normal" person could have done it much better and I think she was being perhaps unneedingly humble to take part blame.

Hockeypop

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14981 of 15566
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 8/27/2012 9:05 PM
<< Multiple daily routes give you the freedom to access the best of a region at your own pace. Every day of every trip we provide a variety of well-researched options which are displayed on the Web and include mileage and elevation change. Every option comes with directions and is fully supported.

Two vans, three leaders, thoughtful trip design, multiple route options with directions and a choice of riding companions—each and every person is supported equally, regardless of ability. >>

Sounds like "puffing," or exaggerating what services a business will provide.

Even with three leaders and two vans, a trip is likely to become a shambles fairly rapidly if people really aren't capable of doing the trip.

A snide comment by another participant in the outing is something you are likely to have to live with.

However much she thought she was prepared, she clearly wasn't.

Was she ready to bail out and take the truck, or did she insist on cycling and perhaps delaying others?

There are lots of things that could be issues here.

Personally, when I was a trip leader with the Seattle Mountaineers, all the trips were categorize by difficulty and the maileage and elevation gain was provided.

If someone chose poorly, I would usually hike their behind up the trail as fast as possible, even though that still delayed the group. If they had an unpleasant experience, tough. Choose wisely next time.

I don't mean to beat up on the OP unreasonably. Making poor choices is part of not having enough experience.

Perhaps the smart move would have been to recognize your limitations and to cycle part of the day and ride the rest in the truck so as not to slow the group.

However, I can't really parse what happened with any reliability.

Seattle Pioneer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement