UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (182) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58842  
Subject: Re: Liberal Early Retirement Date: 2/7/2007 8:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Trollposteer:

"While there may be a "liberal" plan for early retirement, I have not seen this addressed so far in this thread, and I am not certain there really is a practical one.

Goofy:

"On this we agree, except I don't strut around saying "Oh, I'm self made, so the rest of you can go to hell." I had a lot of shoulders to stand on. I was born white, and to middle class parents who cared. I happened to live in a very good school district, which prepared me for college, which prepared me to work in a giant American corporation. I "saw" values every day, I wasn't burdened by negative culture, or skin color, or wondering where my next meal was coming from. I didn't have an older brother who was a drug addict, nor a younger sister with some incurable disease which sucked up all the family savings.

"Some people do. That doesn't excuse a lot of antisocial behavior, but it certainly explains some of it, and so I am somewhat empathetic to those who have all of those additional hurdles to cross just to get to the starting line, where life dropped me with a free pass, of sorts.

"That's "luck", too, of course, just not the "intrcst won the stock market lottery with Dell" type you're moaning about. Some people have one kind, some people have another - and some get none at all. That's life. I have some sympathy for those who fall into category #3. Most "Conservatives" I have noticed do not and I'm not sure that's a very admirable trait.

You spoke well for me too, Goofy.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (182) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement