Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58722  
Subject: Re: Belviq likely to be covered by ObamaCare Date: 11/29/2012 3:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
True up to a point.....but if it was that easy, there wouldn't be an ongoing *Fighting Fat* forum in the first place.....it'd be a *Fought and Won* collective.

No one can argue with that--staying at your desirable weight requires constant vigilance (and effort of course). I guess that was one of points I was trying (perhaps unsuccessfully) to make in the Fat Determinism thread--I consider maintaining a weightloss 'dieting'. But I do agree with you Steven--it's a matter of semantics.

It's never a 'one-and-done' event--which I think many people (not on this board) but many people in general think they will go 'on a diet', lose the weight, and then don't quite 'get' that they will need to alter their eating habits permanently to be thinner permanently.

So that's why I (and others here) have said--the diet that works is the diet you can stick to.

WRT the weightloss drugs, though, it's a bit like everything else that folk take medication for. The trade-offs are supposed to be weighed (so to speak) ahead of time.

I wonder if the trade-offs are fully and accurately considered by patients (and to some extent physicians)-or are they just so much background noise--in the decision to take the magic bullet. Like those drug ads on tv that state the side effects at the very end of the commercial, but the images shown portray a far rosier outcome. I remember my grandmother's dr insisting to me 'even aspirin has side effects' when I dared mention some of the potential risks of the prescription drugs she was taking--iow, he was very dismissive. (btw--my mother and I insisted she get more tests done and most of the drugs she was on were either removed or the dosage lowered--but we literally got into a screaming match with him to even consider the possibility the symptoms she was having was even remotely connected to the pills).

So my concern is with people who do not fully understand even the known side-effects and do not consider that drug studies cannot and do not always accurately reflect the potential adverse reactions when that drug is more widely distributed. Vioxx leaps to mind, and of course phen-fen....
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement