Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21259  
Subject: Truly Gestalt Date: 9/6/2011 7:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
So there's Gestalt the way it's meant, as in the spirit of something, its essence or the sum of the parts.

Then there's Gestalt as in ghost, as in scary thing that frightens little children and teenagers who go to horror films.

I've been very rushed lately and cooking meals has been minimalist at best.

This morning in an effort make sure we have food on the table this week, I put the following in a crockpot:

A couple of ham hocks
A bunch of pinto beans that had been soaking in the fridge all weekend
A can of whole tomatoes (snipping them into smaller pieces)
A package of shredded cabbage
A half package of chopped onions
A half package of chopped green pepper
Half a box of low-sodium chicken broth
Pepper flakes, cocoa, cumin seeds, and whatnot. Really. I can't remember what all spices I threw in there.

Then

I made a turkey meatloaf by needing into ground turkey some egg whites (from a carton), garbanzo and fava bean flour*, onions, green pepper (the other halves of the pkgs above), cinnamon, allspice, curry powder, and more whatnot. I formed it into a big round loaf and centered it in the crockpot ON TOP OF the bean mixture above. Then I smeared some leftover mango chutney from Indian take-out all over the top.

I'm planning on making a huge pot of brown jasmine rice when I get home to go with it all.

Gestalt in the second sense of the word? We'll see.

I'll let you know how it all comes out.

MOI

*DH is gluten intolerant.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tbear2 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21169 of 21259
Subject: Re: Truly Gestalt Date: 9/6/2011 7:08 PM
Recommendations: 0
Sounds like it might have been good...

So did it turn out to be the spirit, or was it the fright?

tb2

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21170 of 21259
Subject: Re: Truly Gestalt Date: 9/6/2011 7:21 PM
So did it turn out to be the spirit, or was it the fright?

I did all this this morning. I haven't been home yet. I'll let you know.

If I live through it.

MOI

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21171 of 21259
Subject: Re: Truly Gestalt Date: 9/7/2011 3:04 PM
Well, the beans and ham hocks were very tasty.

The turkey meatloaf tasted okay but ended up with a very unpleasant texture, very grainy and not meatlike at all. I think the proteins in the turkey broke down from the long cooking time.

Not so scarey after all, though.

MOI

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21172 of 21259
Subject: Re: Truly Gestalt Date: 9/18/2011 9:18 PM
Recommendations: 1
So there's Gestalt the way it's meant, as in the spirit of something, its essence or the sum of the parts.

Then there's Gestalt as in ghost, as in scary thing that frightens little children and teenagers who go to horror films.

I've never heard the word used with that 2nd meaning. I consulted two dictionaries, and neither offered that meaning.

My New Oxford American dictionary offers this: "an organized whole that is perceived as more than the sum of its parts."

And Merriam-Webster online has this: "a structure, configuration, or pattern of physical, biological, or psychological phenomena so integrated as to constitute a functional unit with properties not derivable by summation of its parts"

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21173 of 21259
Subject: Re: Truly Gestalt Date: 9/19/2011 5:55 AM
I first encountered the word in the early 1970s in an article by a German psychcologist who said he waas coining the term from a German word for "ghost." It entered the American lexicon with the first meaning then if he is to be believed. I wish I had the article to hand. I think it was in Psychology Today magazine.

Author: OleDocJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21174 of 21259
Subject: Re: Truly Gestalt Date: 9/19/2011 6:32 AM
I first encountered the word in the early 1970s in an article by a German psychcologist who said he waas coining the term from a German word for "ghost." It entered the American lexicon with the first meaning then if he is to be believed.

Even so, that's a far cry from what you said:

You injected your own connotation for the meaning of "ghost". That connotation does not necessarily follow from the concept of a ghost. Consider this: A ghost may be a concept of an essence that is separate from its physical constructs. That is to say, when you subtract out the physical constructs of being, what remains is the essence of being.

Apply my alternative and you have "gestalt of cooking" means the "essence of [the process of] cooking.

OleDoc

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21175 of 21259
Subject: Re: Truly Gestalt Date: 9/19/2011 11:07 AM
I first encountered the word in the early 1970s in an article by a German psychcologist who said he waas coining the term from a German word for "ghost."

If so, that's very odd, because there is already a school of psychology known as Gestalt Psychology. Merriam Webster defines it as “the study of perception and behavior from the standpoint of an individual's response to configurational wholes with stress on the uniformity of psychological and physiological events and rejection of analysis into discrete events of stimulus, percept, and response.”

They also cite a first known use of 1924.

Google translate says the German word for ghost is Gespenst. It translates the German word gestalt as "shape." It offers several alternative translations (form, figure, character, person, frame, build) but none of them mean ghost.

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21176 of 21259
Subject: Re: Truly Gestalt Date: 9/19/2011 12:28 PM
Recommendations: 4
You injected your own connotation for the meaning of "ghost". That connotation does not necessarily follow from the concept of a ghost.

Good lord, are there no artistic souls on this board! Ever hear of poetic license?

Sheesh.

Part of the "gestalt of cooking" is artistic expression, you know.

MOI

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21177 of 21259
Subject: Re: Truly Gestalt Date: 9/19/2011 12:29 PM
Recommendations: 1
If so, that's very odd, because there is already a school of psychology known as Gestalt Psychology. Merriam Webster defines it as “the study of perception and behavior from the standpoint of an individual's response to configurational wholes with stress on the uniformity of psychological and physiological events and rejection of analysis into discrete events of stimulus, percept, and response.”

They also cite a first known use of 1924.

Google translate says the German word for ghost is Gespenst. It translates the German word gestalt as "shape." It offers several alternative translations (form, figure, character, person, frame, build) but none of them mean ghost.

OK, I'm wrong. I'm so very, very, very wrong. And you are so very, very, very right!

Can we drop this please. It has NOTHING to do with the original post.

MOI

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21178 of 21259
Subject: Re: Truly Gestalt Date: 9/19/2011 12:42 PM
But apparently I'm not the only one who has gleaned this usage....

http://tinyurl.com/3w7mx8j
"The Ghost of Greta Garbo" Greta Garbos spöke? En gestalt står vid hennes grav på Skogskyrkogården hösten 2008. Det var ingen annan där förutom jag vid fototillfället. Vad tror du? Kommentera! En film av Johannes Graaf

http://tinyurl.com/3ooe3nr

Gestalt Zero is the prototype .... He has a ghost's hostile environment....As a child, Gestalt Zero was conscripted into the Ghost Program....

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21179 of 21259
Subject: Re: Truly Gestalt Date: 9/19/2011 1:07 PM
Greta Garbos spöke? En gestalt står vid hennes grav

In that swedish sentence, the word gestalt is used to be "figure."

It translates (from the Swedish) as: "Greta Garbo's ghost? A figure standing at her grave"

Gestalt Zero is the prototype .... He has a ghost's hostile environment.
According to that website, "Ghosts are feared terran covert operatives. They are known for their skill, psionic powers and ability to cloak." In other words, its a wholly invented definition for the purpose of that game.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement