Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello fellow fools,
I could use some sage advice. I am planning on a trustee to trustee transfer from a tax sheltered annuity (Travelers 403b) to a Roth IRA through a discount broker. I have been told by some brokers over the phone that I would have to first open a traditional IRA and then rollover/transfer to a ROTH. What are the tax implications of this? Is this true? I did read the articles re: Rollover vs. Transfer and did not see this mentioned. Any thoughts are most appreciated.
Thank you,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.