Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6559  
Subject: Trusts Date: 10/6/2005 7:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Trusts

Basically a trust is a legal Contract that can control all or part of your assets, Protect them from outside sources and direct them after death or other event.

There are 2 types of trusts, Revocable and Irrevocable, but there can be a lot of stipulations to create other types, such as Revocable on 'Event'.

Revocable is good for a parent to set aside assets for a child (or other) while the parent is still alive and wishes to retain some control of the assets in the future.
Irrevocable means the trust Maker cannot change the direction or terms of the trust after it is signed. Appointing a Trust Manager and the circumstances that the trust would be Dissolved are important.

So I am speaking mostly about Irrevocable trusts for Seniors. A trust supersedes a Last Will, but does not replace it, it can effectively change the terms of a Will. The idea is to turn over ownership of All assets (really, everything) over to the trust and allow the trust to pay for all the necessary living expenses of the Trustee. Remember this is a Contract, so it can be set up in any way that you choose (there is no such thing as a boiler plate trust) but it cannot be changed. You must envision every eventuality that could occur during the life of the trust. Also the trust should have a dissolution clause, ie on the death of Parent all assets, after paying all debts and final expenses, will be transferred like in kind to the heirs named in the will. (did you notice I included a lot of specifications? it's a Contract!)

A trust will protect the estates assets from Medicare, Medicaid and predatory claims as long as it has been in effect for 5 years (in current law) so effectively the Trust Beneficiary is broke, but cared for by the terms of the Trust

I would recommend a trust for anyone with assets over $100k or owns a house property or business. When an Elder requires a nursing home, it is really easy to run through all assets in a short amount of time. At 60 to$ 90k/year for skilled nursing care, I'm sure you can see why. Long Term Care insurance may help, but I am not familiar with that. Medicaid will cover nursing care if the person has less than $2000 in assets. For over that amount, Medicaid requires payment or partial payment until the assets are less than $2000. Any trust less than 5 years old is considered an attachable asset as well as gifts given less than 3 years ago (this law may change soon)

For me, this information is to late. So I am hoping someone else can benefit from it.
jC

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement