UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 740379  
Subject: Truth stranger than fiction? Date: 11/29/2012 6:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 15
Truth stranger than fiction?

"From the New York Times. I checked, it really is not from the Onion.

WASHINGTON — House Republicans said on Thursday that Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner presented the House speaker, John A. Boehner, a detailed proposal to avert the year-end fiscal crisis with $1.6 trillion in tax increases over 10 years, an immediate new round of stimulus spending, home mortgage refinancing and a permanent end to Congressional control over statutory borrowing limits.

...In exchange for locking in the $1.6 trillion in added revenues, President Obama embraced $400 billion in savings from Medicare and other entitlements, to be worked out next year, with no guarantees.

The upfront tax increases in the proposal go beyond what Senate Democrats were able to pass earlier this year. Tax rates would go up for higher-income earners, as in the Senate bill, but Mr. Obama wants their dividends to be taxed as ordinary income, something the Senate did not approve. He also wants the estate tax to be levied at 45 percent on inheritances over $3.5 million, a step several Democratic senators balked at. The Senate bill made no changes to the estate tax, which currently taxes inheritances over $5 million at 35 percent.

Meanwhile, Costco is in the news, for borrowing $3 billion dollars, and paying it out as a special dividend before dividend taxes rise. Stock rose 6%. Tax arbitrage is so cool."

http://johnhcochrane.blogspot.com/2012/11/truth-stranger-tha...

Friggin' ship of fools.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657393 of 740379
Subject: Re: Truth stranger than fiction? Date: 11/29/2012 6:17 PM
Recommendations: 2
Amazing isn't it? What really makes this comical is Obama extended the Bush rates and said you don't raise taxes during a downturn. Now he calls for 1.5 trillion in tax hikes and admits the economy is weak by putting in we need an extra 50 billion in stimulus spending. Insanity's horse is adorning the sky my friend.

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657394 of 740379
Subject: Re: Truth stranger than fiction? Date: 11/29/2012 6:21 PM
Recommendations: 13
Amazing isn't it? What really makes this comical is Obama extended the Bush rates and said you don't raise taxes during a downturn. Now he calls for 1.5 trillion in tax hikes and admits the economy is weak by putting in we need an extra 50 billion in stimulus spending. Insanity's horse is adorning the sky my friend.

I just can't figure out how Democrats got their tax & spend reputations. It's a mystery.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657395 of 740379
Subject: Re: Truth stranger than fiction? Date: 11/29/2012 6:26 PM
Recommendations: 0

I just can't figure out how Democrats got their tax & spend reputations. It's a mystery.
-----------------------------------------------
How would you even begin to negotiate with that?

Well instead of spending 50 billion more we don't have we'd like to tweak it, just a little, to 1 trillion in spending cuts a year.

I realize when negotiating you throw out a more extreme position to hopefully get back to some compromise you can live with, but to throw out stimulus spending instead of cutting spending leads me to believe they want to go over "the cliff".

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657396 of 740379
Subject: Re: Truth stranger than fiction? Date: 11/29/2012 6:37 PM
Recommendations: 1
Probably the same response i would've had:

Mitch McConnell, the Senate Republican leader, says he “burst into laughter” Thursday when Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner outlined the administration proposal for averting the fiscal cliff. He wasn’t trying to embarrass Geithner, McConnell says, only responding candidly to his one-sided plan, explicit on tax increases, vague on spending cuts…

Geithner suggested $1.6 trillion in tax increases, McConnell says, but showed “minimal or no interest” in spending cuts. When congressional leaders went to the White House three days after the election, Obama talked of possible curbs on the explosive growth of food stamps and Social Security disability payments. But since Geithner didn’t mention them, those reductions appear to be off the table now, McConnell says.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657408 of 740379
Subject: Re: Truth stranger than fiction? Date: 11/29/2012 8:03 PM
Recommendations: 20
...In exchange for locking in the $1.6 trillion in added revenues, President Obama embraced $400 billion in savings from Medicare and other entitlements, to be worked out next year, with no guarantees.

Mr. President, do you REALLY think it is fair to trade actual action this year for a promise to consider action next year?

You do?

Excellent. You sign on to a plan to cut expenditures by $1.6 trillion over 10 years beginning THIS year, and NEXT year we'll think about possibly raising revenue by $400 billion.

Hey, you just said you think that's fair.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657409 of 740379
Subject: Re: Truth stranger than fiction? Date: 11/29/2012 8:08 PM

Mr. President, do you REALLY think it is fair to trade actual action this year for a promise to consider action next year?

You do?

Excellent. You sign on to a plan to cut expenditures by $1.6 trillion over 10 years beginning THIS year, and NEXT year we'll think about possibly raising revenue by $400 billion.

Hey, you just said you think that's fair.
---------------------------------------
President can't hear you, he's busy packing for his 17 day Hawaii vacation in the middle of December. Wooooooooohoooooooooo! Good luck with that fiscal cliff thing sukkas!

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657410 of 740379
Subject: Re: Truth stranger than fiction? Date: 11/29/2012 8:11 PM
President can't hear you, he's busy packing for his 17 day Hawaii vacation in the middle of December. Wooooooooohoooooooooo! Good luck with that fiscal cliff thing sukkas!

He's having the golf clubs loaded onto Air Force Zero right now.

Author: twopairfullhouse Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657468 of 740379
Subject: Re: Truth stranger than fiction? Date: 11/30/2012 10:05 AM
I wonder if we could get some Senate Democrats to put their names to this, particularly those up for re-election in 2014. I think that they owe their constituents a clear message on where they stand on this critical issue.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657480 of 740379
Subject: Re: Truth stranger than fiction? Date: 11/30/2012 10:48 AM
We should honor our King 0bama by insisting that his name is placed on the title of every single bill the democrats pass with his blessing. As a stoopid hollywood psycho said recently, "0bama, our Lord and Savior."

Put his face on every demonination of currency and every coin. Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's.

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657488 of 740379
Subject: Re: Truth stranger than fiction? Date: 11/30/2012 11:35 AM
Put his face on every demonination of currency and every coin. Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's.

Josh

Obama's face should adorn outdoor public billboards throughout the USA and every building - commercial or residential - must be required to have at least one portrait of the deer leader showing him posing with his chin jutting upwards.

My town of Pittsburgh got off to a good start by changing the name of one of its public high schools to Obama Academy when the One got elected for the first time.

People voted this guy into office so let's give 'em what they want.

Mike

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657498 of 740379
Subject: Re: Truth stranger than fiction? Date: 11/30/2012 12:58 PM
Obama's face should adorn outdoor public billboards throughout the USA and every building - commercial or residential - must be required to have at least one portrait of the deer leader showing him posing with his chin jutting upwards.

We are not worthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FucbvoFFy0

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657525 of 740379
Subject: Re: Truth stranger than fiction? Date: 11/30/2012 2:36 PM
Put his face on every demonination of currency and every coin.

I was thinking public toilets.

JLC

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657538 of 740379
Subject: Re: Truth stranger than fiction? Date: 11/30/2012 2:52 PM
Owebama toilet seat covers

http://www.gizmodiva.com/home_improvement/obama_toilet_seat_...

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657543 of 740379
Subject: Re: Truth stranger than fiction? Date: 11/30/2012 2:56 PM

http://www.gizmodiva.com/home_improvement/obama_toilet_seat_......

Not the spot I would place my Obama image

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657549 of 740379
Subject: Re: Truth stranger than fiction? Date: 11/30/2012 3:22 PM

Problem with that is you're supposed to lift the lid before relieving yourself.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement