Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: klr105 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 86542  
Subject: trying to fix my credit report Date: 4/16/1999 9:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Warning: this is a long one

I am a new Fool, and not sure if this is the right place to discuss my problem, but here goes. About 3 1/2 years ago, when I was in college, I had a gasoline credit card. I paid my bills on it, and when I finished college and moved to my first job, I no longer needed the card in my new town so I quit using it. About a year later I pulled a copy of my credit report as I was preparing to make a major purchase. Much to my surprise, I had less than a perfect report: this gas company had put me down as a $100 chargeoff! I pulled all my records, canceled checks, etc. and in my research found nothing to substantiate their claim. So I called the gas company, and after a long frustrating conversation with their Customer Service, I finally got them to agree to remove this from my credit report.

Being quite foolish then (not Foolish), I took the gas company at their word. After all, I had no problem proceeding with buying my car, not to mention all the other things in life that require credit checks. So I figured everything was OK. I even threw away my records with this gas company sometime later during a move because why did I need them anymore, right? (yes, foolish) -- although I did keep my canceled checks.

Well, I'll bet you've guessed what happened -- the gas company never did remove the chargeoff. And the way I found out about this was through pulling my report recently because I'm looking to buy a house. So I tracked down the gas company, which is a hard thing to do now because they've been acquired by another company. And when I finally did speak with someone at the new company, they told me that any records on my account would have been archived. And since it would be a pain for them to dig around and find my records, they weren't going to do it unless I filed a complaint with a credit bureau, requiring them to do an investigation and produce my records.

So, I called Equifax (whom I'd gotten my credit report from), explained my situation, and asked them to do an investigation on this. I never heard anything from Equifax until a month later when I called them and they told me that the gas company's claims had been substantiated. That's it (?!), no explaination as to HOW the claims had been substantiated. I feel like the gas company didn't do anything to really prove their claim. At least they haven't proved anything to me, because I know their claim was false TO BEGIN WITH!!

OK, I'm sorry to make this all such a long story. But please give me any advice as to what I can do now to get this thing off my credit report. I'm not satisfied with the level of help from Equifax, but don't know where else to go.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement