UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (50) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1972589  
Subject: Re: Did you know ACA is free? Mitt says so Date: 11/18/2012 12:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
t's absolutely ludicrous to make your anti-free market argument on the fact that bad people would do bad things in a free market.

Well, let me acknowledge that the record of people doing bad things -- to their customers, their fellow citizens, their neighbors, their country -- in an unregulated market is so firmly established that it needs no proof.

Unregulated markets are so rare that I don't see how you can say it is firmly established. And I don't mean markets without the rule of law. I mean unregulated markets with the rule of law. However, even if it is firmly established, the record of people doing bad things -- to their customers, their fellow citizens, their neighbors, their country -- in a REGULATED market is DEFINITELY firmly established. Every time someone does something bad in a regulated market, some idiot says that it was obviously because it wasn't regulated ENOUGH. What's worse is that they invariably blame a *non-existent* free market for the problem.

What's worse, government intervention causes *good* people to take actions with bad consequences as they respond to the poor incentives of government policy.

Yeah, they are not responsible. They had no other options. They are enslaved. Which religion supports that point of view? That's another non-starter from you.

Give me a break. Do you REALLY want us to believe that incentives created by government policy don't matter because people are ultimately responsible for their own actions? Personally, I think that is asinine. Policies create certain incentives, and incentives cause people to respond to those incentives. Cause and effect. Ignoring it won't make it go away.

I will stop here because I have little patience for nonsense.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (50) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement