UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: zimmpa Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75340  
Subject: TSP or 401(K) Date: 10/14/2006 11:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello all:

I am in the unique position of being able to take advantage of my company's 401(K) program or contributing to the Fed government's Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) this year and 2007 (only).

Question is which program to contribute to based upon following:

- my company does not match contributions - they deposit 3% no matter my contribution and also contribute a further amount through another program, again irregardless how much I contribute (I know... great benefit!).

- company 401(K) plan is through Fidelity

- 401 (K) plan has 60K after 2 years of establishing

- IRA's are not part of decision - they wil be maxed out in 2006 and 2007 as well

- I will of course compare performance and fees of the funds invloved
in both plans (have not done that yet)

- I will be aggressive in a TSP portfolio; I am aggressive in 401(K)

- 41 years old -- 25 years till retirement

Any other deciding factors I should look at?

Anything obvious I am missing, for example the TSP has benefits a 401 (K) does not ?

THANKS!!

We are in a very good financial place through Dec 2007. Comes at a price... mobilized to active duty.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53980 of 75340
Subject: Re: TSP or 401(K) Date: 10/14/2006 12:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
God bless you for your service to our country.

I would recommend using the TSP. Low costs and index funds

You may want to look at a Roth for REITS or High Yield bonds, assuming you are eligible.

Again, many thanks.

buzman

Author: 2old4bs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53982 of 75340
Subject: Re: TSP or 401(K) Date: 10/14/2006 6:19 PM

This is an important step--don't overlook it. The cost of the funds in my 401k are very high.

Thank you for serving our country, and God bless,

2old

Author: Hohum77 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53983 of 75340
Subject: Re: TSP or 401(K) Date: 10/14/2006 6:40 PM

TSP has incredibly low fees, really hard for any Fund family or Plan to beat. I haven't looked too closely at them, but the Lifecycle funds give a participant a few more TSP choices too.

Hohum

Author: kaudrey Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53990 of 75340
Subject: Re: TSP or 401(K) Date: 10/16/2006 9:05 AM
I'm with the others - go TSP. Good luck to you!

Karen

(And just because I'm a stickler about certain things, "irregardless" is not a word. It is "regardless".) OK, off my soapbox.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement