UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 129261  
Subject: tub reglazing Date: 12/11/2003 9:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm thinking of having my daughter's tub and pedestal sink reglazed as a Christmas gift. Do any of you have any idea how much this costs? I just need a general idea of the price before I bother to have someone come out and give us an estimate.

Also - if having this professionally done is too expensive, do any of you have any experience with do-it-yourself products to re-coat the fixtures. Years ago, DH used a 2 part epoxy paint on our tub and sink, but we moved away after a couple of years, so I don't know how long it lasted. It looked fine for the 2 years we lived there.

I believe that there are several different products in use these days. One ad I looked at was for a product that is sprayed on and uses an acrylic polymer, whatever that is. Is that better than epoxy?

Any info would be appreciated.

Trini
Print the post Back To Top
Author: deputac Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43562 of 129261
Subject: Re: tub reglazing Date: 12/11/2003 10:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Trini -

When I moved into my place three years ago, my wife was a stickler for having a spotless, clean bathroom. A nice shiny tub was a definite for her. Although I can't remeber how much we exactly paid, I think that it was around $200 through a local contractor friend (I live in NY as well).

I must say that the job he performed was great. But, two drawbacks. First, you can no longer use those bathmats with the suction cup grips. The alternative bathmats are hard to come by and don't stick as well. Second, if you do use the suction cup mats, they eventually rip up the glaze and paint of the tub.

However, I really think that the look and feel of it is great.

Todd

Author: jiml8 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43564 of 129261
Subject: Re: tub reglazing Date: 12/11/2003 11:01 AM
Recommendations: 8
Once upon a time, I had a fiberglass tub in an apartment break down. Replacing a tub in one of those places is a truly major evolution, so I decided to try to repair it.

There was a local company that said they could re-glass the bottom of the tub, then repaint it and it would be fine.

In preparation for them, I drilled several holes in the bottom of the tub. Then, working through the plumbing access, I pushed a couple of 2x4s into the space under the tub and positioned them so as to make a rough frame.

I then took several cans of spray foam, and shot foam into the space under the tub until it was full and the broken bottom of the tub was resting on foam. This company then came out, reglassed the tub, and repainted it. That was about 10 years ago and the thing has held up just fine.

Fast forward about 5 years. Another tub has broken. I contacted the same company and made the same preparations. The guy came out, looked at the tub, looked at me, and said "it has holes in the bottom."

Well, says I, I says, "Yes it does. I want you to reglass it and refinish it."

"I can't do that."

"What do you mean you can't do that? Your company has done it before."

"The guy who used to do that quit. We don't do that any more."

So, here I am with this tub that has holes in the bottom.

Now, when I was much younger, I used to do a lot of fiberglass layup work, just for things I wanted to build or modify. So I ran out to the auto shop and obtained everything I needed. I then did a complete layup of the bottom of the tub. Sanded, filled, primed...only took a few hours. Then I needed to get it painted.

I went out and purchased a gallon of the best polyurethane car finish I could find. I then masked and prepped the whole thing for paint. I then went to a body shop where I know the owner and begged him to loan me one of his painters and kit. He did so. The guy painted the tub.

That was about 5 years ago; the tub is holding up fine.

I don't know if you would call that a DIY project, but it is what I did.

Author: karenlj Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43569 of 129261
Subject: Re: tub reglazing Date: 12/11/2003 12:37 PM
In preparation for them, I drilled several holes in the bottom of the tub.

What were the holes for?

Karen
<curiously>

Author: jiml8 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43576 of 129261
Subject: Re: tub reglazing Date: 12/11/2003 4:00 PM
What were the holes for?

So I could shoot the foam through them.

Author: nnn12345 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43583 of 129261
Subject: Re: tub reglazing Date: 12/11/2003 11:35 PM
A friend that I know reglazed their tub 2 years ago and it is a mess today. Also the instuctions on the web state that you can not leave things on top of a reglazed surface. And that you have to be very careful when cleaning the reglazed surface. I would be careful reglazing.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement