Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Not sure if I spelled it right, but you all know what I mean.

I've read that TB is on the rise again. Someone who I am fairly close to has just had a positive reading on the TB skin test. According to the doc they are not contagious though as they do not have the disease. They have been given a prescription to kill the TB bacteria. This has caused me to wonder about the chances of me getting TB.

In my line of work I routinely come into contact with persons who may have any number of diseases. I do not normally spend much time with them, but on occasion I may be in the same room as them for hours on end.

As part of my annual physical I have a TB skin test. I'm curious though, a person like my friend who has a positive TB test, what are the chances that they will get TB.

I've read a little about TB, but I really don't know what the long-term effect is on a person. If untreated, I assume it would eventually become fatal? If treated prior to getting the disease can they be certain that they won't get the disease? Once positive on the skin test, will they always have a positive reading? Once they are successfully treated, will they become immune to TB.

I've been told that a lot of persons in the health care field, law enforcement field, prison guards, drug and alcohol workers etc are exposed to TB and eventually get the TB bacteria. For fellow workers in one of these or similiar fields, what do you all think?

How can a person protect themself from something like TB that is airborne? The one thing that I can think of is to keep myself as healthy as possible and just to keep getting tested annually.

Mark :-)
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement