Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I have a question regarding tuition reimbursement. In 2007, my 1098-T shows ~$6k in tuition billed, and that is the only amount on that form. My W-2 has a 12a item L for ~$2000, which is how much I was reimbursed in 2007. Can I take the remaining ~$4k as a deduction? The reason it isn't one for one is that my company could not repay me for my fall classes until 2008.

My second question is, for the next few years, my classes exceed the $5250 amount per year, so I am being billed ~$10k a year and getting $5250 for reimbursement. Along the same lines, can I claim the difference? When I graduate, and am still being reimbursed by my company, would I then have to pay taxes when I am being reimbursed $5250 a year but am getting no 1098-T (paying no tuition)?

Technically if I claimed the difference in my favor, then never paid taxes on the difference in the IRS' favor...wouldn't that be a double benefit (IRS pub 970? says you cannot receive a double benefit, but that is the only thing I've really seen on this situation...)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.