Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71409  
Subject: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/8/2013 7:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Which would you guys buy. A 2005 Tundra 4WD, or a 2007 Silverado 4WD. The Tundra is 500 more, or so. The Tundra is at 90K and the Silvy is at 80K.

Why or why not. I like the Tundra because it has 3" more ground clearance.

V
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69731 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/8/2013 8:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Tundra - even with all the problems Toyota has I think they are still better built and more reliable than Chevy.

Author: tdbowz One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69732 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/8/2013 8:59 PM
I would look to buy a 2007 or later model Tundra. In 2007 Toyota introduced the second generation Tundra which is larger than Gen.#1 and more in line with the big 3 full size 1/2 ton pick-ups. They are reliable, dependable and hold value better than any other full size pick-up.

td (color me biased for I own a 2008 Tundra Limited and love it)

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69733 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/8/2013 10:53 PM
I forgot to add I know the entire maintenance history of the silverado since new. Very well taken care of. The Tundra is just a used car.

Author: devoish Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69734 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/8/2013 11:26 PM
Recommendations: 3
My opinion is that GM wins the full size truck competition against all comers.
I think GM rides better, handles better and just feels more secure on the highway. I think maintenance and repairs are less common and less costly.
There are certainly some Tundras that cost less to repair than some Silvers, but mostly I think it goes the other way.

IMHO,
Steven

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69735 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/9/2013 3:59 AM
Recommendations: 1
Of the selection, go for the Tundra, hands down...

I made the error of buying a Chevie in '95 when I couldn't get a supercab shortbed in Ford, Tundras weren't an option... That thing cost me way too much down time, first trannie was on the warranty, next one on me, engine, big end rod bearing at 70k or so, all on me, tossed in a factory GoodWrench, used synthetics from then on, kept it only because we had other projects going... I made it to 150k before I found what I should have had, a Ford... Me biased, yes indeed.. friends have Tundras,love 'em, no problems..

No more GMs for me, did not like the local dealer, we leased it originally, bought the lease..

weco

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69736 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/9/2013 9:02 PM
Turns out the Silverado was $4K less - so it won.

Thanks for your opinions. Generally, I would have gone with the Toyota, but not for that much more.

I don't think you can compare a 95 GM truck to an 07 GM truck. I know they have gotten better.

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69739 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/10/2013 2:36 PM
Silverado.

According to the folks over at TTAC there are about 70% of cars at auction they regularly see with over 300K on the clock and still running.

Ford and GM trucks
Toyota and Honda cars

The rest is a scattered mix of other vehicles.

But hey, what do used car auction buyers and Detroit hating TTAC know.

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69740 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/10/2013 2:37 PM
I forgot to add I know the entire maintenance history of the silverado since new. Very well taken care of.

That was some important information - maintenance records from day one that are complete are rare. Provides proof that it was cared for. If the requirements to meet warranty were maintained, there is no reason you shouldn't get 200K miles plus

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69744 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/10/2013 5:33 PM
I don't think you can compare a 95 GM truck to an 07 GM truck. I know they have gotten better.

I would hope so!

BUt, back in '95 I thought the old standard 350, 3/4T Chevy was old, solid technology! What can go wrong! Proven tech, not the all computerized ones coming... Little did I know...

It wasn't just the engine, tranny, the 4WD gave me fits, I ha dome off road, down a slope to hel my brother and his little '45 4 banger Jeep pull a huge granite boulder back to the cabin near Sonora. Tried to engage, back up a little, no 4x4! He ended up having to tow me back up onto the road! The engagement pawl in the front differential was screwed up.. I replaced the setup with a vac system from Warn...

The A/C was flaky, level sensors, relay, final flaw was the tin plated connections on the A/C relay, a twist to the connector exentually solved it..

I leased, bought because I was way over mileage limits, stuck with it, 'love the one you're with' kind of thing... We Towed a 17' 5th Wheel, it was underpowered at 195 Hp, single tanks meant spooky tows if there were headwinds from Salt Lake to NV... Pain failed, Metallic Ruby Red, the top gradually peeled away...

Anyway, there were more, but overall, I was a happier Ford guy who screwed up going to Chevy... Trapped by working out of town, needed to replace the old '82 F150 big 6 after 250k or more... But Ford was slow bringing out what I wanted, today I've a 2006 F150 SuperCrew, beats the old GN 3/4T in every way... tech has definitely moved on...

All the best... Go to syn oils, good regular service, do fine...

weco

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69745 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/10/2013 6:53 PM
BUt, back in '95 I thought the old standard 350, 3/4T Chevy was old, solid technology! What can go wrong!

Interesting story. I remeber the crappy paint GM had on trucks for a while! It would come off in sheets.

I don't blame you for not wanting another one after that experience. I had a 96 Toyota T100. It was flawless, but no where near a 3/4 ton in capabilities.

Silverados do seem far better than what you had. Here's hoping for the best.

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69746 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/10/2013 6:59 PM
According to the folks over at TTAC there are about 70% of cars at auction they regularly see with over 300K on the clock and still running.

Ford and GM trucks
Toyota and Honda cars

That's kind of a dubious fact - about all there really are, are GM and Ford trucks. Ram and Toyota don't sell enough to matter, really.

Ford and GM - 1.2M
Toyota - 100,000
Ram - 300,000 - I guess that's pretty good.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/01/december-2012-top-15-pi...

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69747 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/10/2013 8:40 PM
Well, it was interesting, even if frustrating, the rod bearing was really strange, only heard under a light load, so it took a while for DW to also notice it, and again I was on the road a lot, left it behind with my trusty mechanic to pop in the GoodWrench... by then I was just resigned to it.. When I did sell it, I had it detailed, waxed, it had brand new Michelins on it, we'd planned on holding on a while longer, it had tow setup, front hitch receiver, side rails, trailer mirrors (PowerMax), but all I could get in a few weeks of tries was $3,000 cash, gone, not forgotten...

Author: WyomingCowgirl Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69748 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/11/2013 12:46 AM
Recommendations: 2
You should have bought a Ford ;-)

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69749 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/11/2013 4:44 AM

Tell me! Back in '78 I'd bought a new F250, 460 V8, tossed on some all steel Michelens, had my dream vehicle... Gas prices went over $1, I panicked, did without a while, regretted that for years... The '82 F150 I had, was really underpowered for towing, but the 300" six was good for commuting... So when I finally was ready in '95, I went to Ford, was ready to drive one out, but shortbeds just weren't an option for Supercabs, Crew cabs were huge, just not what I was after... So I looked for GMC, found none, ended up with the Chevy.. I tried...

But I'm back... Go Ford!

Inlaw has a SuperSnake, Cobra, 750+ HP... wjt a ride! Still in warranty from Shelby! Bro an F150, we are a Ford family, really..

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69750 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/11/2013 11:37 AM
I had a 76 ford Bronco in college and a little after.

It vapor locked all the time, drive shaft failed, tranny rebuild at 77K, crappy mileage and power for a 302, electronic control module would die after 15K,

But, the roll bar saved my life when I hit a cow and was knocked off the road and rolled it. It was totaled.

Took the insurance money and bought an '83 Toyota SR5 4WD truck for $5K. It had 30K on it when I bought it, and 265K when I sold it. Drove it coast to coast twice and border to border once. It was a pretty good truck.

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69751 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/11/2013 2:03 PM
I've had several Ford PU's, even a Maverick long ago, bought a '70 F250 with a 360" engine, with 100K on it, drove it another 100K before moving to the '78 F250 with the 460" V8.. Major upgrade at the time, as was my latest move to the '-6 F150... First car, a $25 '41 Ford, flathead V8 2dr sedan.. even did a valve job on it! it had the front 'spider' distributor, so much fun to work on, but it got me around and about... I look back and it's a world of difference in all vehicles... If I had a warehouse I wish I'd kept all of my past vehicles, hit the lottery, restore 'em all like I couldn't afford to do at the time... 41 Ford, 53 Studebaker Commander, 57 Chevy, 55 Chevy PU, 70 F250, 70 Maverick, 82 F250, 82 Mazda RX7, Honda Accords, Civic, Chevy K2500, Ford F150.. Quite a ride..

weco

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69752 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/11/2013 3:21 PM
That's kind of a dubious fact - about all there really are, are GM and Ford trucks. Ram and Toyota don't sell enough to matter, really.

Thats a bit of a dubious defense. If they normally lasted to 300K plus then the "mileage champions" in auction would show up regardless of make/model.

Steven Lang would never, EVER, be mistaken for a Detroit fanboi:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/12/monday-mileage-cham...

...It’s time to make a confession to the good folks at TTAC.

The mileage game is rigged.

How so? Well, approximately two-thirds of the vehicles that reach the 300k+ mark at an auction I attend will usually belong in one of four categories.

Ford truck or SUV. Chevy truck or SUV. Honda car. Toyota everything.

There you have it. Nearly two thirds of the vehicles that I see with serious high mileage credentials will belong in one of those four categories.

Yes I do see the occasional V8, rear-wheel-drive Ford car. Nissan seems to do well with their mostly -90's Altimas, 10+ year old Maximas, and their wonderful small trucks. A few Jeeps and Cummins diesel trucks also fly into the high mileage radar.

But everyone else? Just little glimpses every now and then.

The old school German machinery will sometimes score a 300k+ model with a level of maintenance receipts that could do damage to your next door neighbor’s window.

VW does well with the TDI, the too slow 2.0, and nothing else. Audi, Jaguar, Land Rover, SAAB, and Volvo have become a big fuhgeddaboudit for our weekly mileage contest. Volvo would probably field a few 300k vehicles if the odometers on all their 1990's models didn’t break with a near 100% level of consistency.

In my experiences, Subarus can get close to 300k, But they will often have massive oil leaks and repair records that will rival the Germans...

You can read his regular column about mileage champions at TTAC

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69753 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/11/2013 3:44 PM
$25 '41 Ford, flathead V8 2dr sedan.

You might be a tad older than me. My mom's first far was a '44 Ford convertible. She loved that car. My dad had a '40 Ford coupe. He loved his too.

I had a '66 Mustang. I mostly restored it, fun car. that and the totaled Bronco added up to the toyota truck. Should have kept the mustang.

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69755 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/11/2013 5:14 PM
Thats a bit of a dubious defense

It was a defense at all. I'm not anti American car. Although, we did have a Vega when I was growing up and what a piece of crap that was . . . . .

I do notice that he said a Toyota anything had 300K as well. That tells me a Silverado and a Tundra are comparable. Good enough for me.

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69756 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/11/2013 9:20 PM
$25 '41 Ford, flathead V8 2dr sedan.

You might be a tad older than me. My mom's first far was a '44 Ford convertible. She loved that car. My dad had a '40 Ford coupe. He loved his too.
I had a '66 Mustang. I mostly restored it, fun car. that and the totaled Bronco added up to the toyota truck. Should have kept the mustang.

Older than I think I am, turned 71 last year, that '41 came along while I was working part time at a local Signal Service Station... maybe '60? near there is my guess...

I forgot our '66 Mustang, powder blue, it came after the 57 Chevy... 6 Cyl, stick.. Great commuter car.. then the tranny got noisy, so I pulled it myself, I was working an hour away, but bought the parts at the Ford Dealer there, had a box with the parts in it, and a shop nearby pressed the old bearings off, added the new.. what I didn't notice wwas a snap ring had slid under the bottom flap. Stayed up way late getting the tranny back in, then took off the next morning for work.. grinding, bad sounds, the missing snap ring was supposed to keep the tailshaft from eating up the center needle bearings.. I managed to drive it back home in 2nd, then took it tot he Ford dealer pid the price for screwing it up.. But even after that it wasn't quite right, so we traded it for the Maverick, same dealer, so they knew the story, were OK with it. The Maverick had the same Six & Stick, we kept that for nearly 300K... Tires lasted forever, the kids even learned to drive in it..

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69757 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/11/2013 11:20 PM
We grew up with a Ford station wagon - an early 70s Torino by father hated - was one of them plus a Country Squire, and a Mercury Comet.
When my brothers could drive we got a 1969 Cougar XR7 w/Hurst shifter and later a 1968 Cougar XR7 my brother dropped a 428 (I believe) in. Wow, that thing went fast! It was black vinyl over black - beautiful. I should have bought it from him, but the clutch was a workout.
Later dad got some Mercury Sables, then finally got a Lexus in the early 90s - not sure what happened there. He currently owns a 65 T Bird and 59 Ford retractable, but he can't drive them due to Parkinsons. We always had a 1920 something Model T in parts that he was going to rebuild. My brother has it but I don't think it will ever get done.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69758 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/12/2013 9:48 AM
We grew up with a Ford station wagon - an early 70s Torino by father hated - was one of them plus a Country Squire, and a Mercury Comet.

We had a Country Squire. Huge boat of a vehicle. Mom drove it from the early 60s until she traded it for a '68 Firebird. She had some issues keeping the Firebird at or below the speed limit in town, so she traded that for a 1970 Pontiac Catalina convertible in Palamino Copper. It ended up being my first car in 1979. It blew the radiator in 1980 and I ended up with a sucession of crappy cars for about a decade:

1978 Corvette
1979 Buick Skylark
1977 Volkswagon Rabbit
1984 Ford Tempo

then upgraded at bit in the 90s

1991 Corsica (actually loved this car, but it ate alternators like candy)
1999 Ford Explorer Sport

During the time of the Skylark and Rabbit, I married DH and we brought him a brand new 1983 Ford F150 single cab. Loved that truck! Had kids and exchanged the F150 for a Dodge Dakota extended cab. Then we bought DHs dad's 1990 GMC Sierra pickup.

The 2000s saw us with the Explorer and DH's dad sold us a 2002 Nissan Frontier(named Slagathor) that became DD2s first truck. She wrecked it and got a 2004 Mazda Tribute(named Sasha). It was taken out by a deer last fall and she now has a 1996 Jeep Wrangler(Matthew McConajeep). DH picked up a 1995 Pathfinder and recently gave it to DD#1 and her family.

And of course, I now have Stella, my 2007 Mustang convertible. Definitely moved up with that one.

LWW

Author: GrandpaRalph Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69761 of 71409
Subject: Re: Tundra or Silverado Date: 1/12/2013 7:53 PM

Agreed, especially compared to Toyota. Watch side by side video of Ford vs Toyota rough road testing. Toyota box looks like it is going to twist right off at 30 and 51 seconds. Also note what the driver is subjected to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5BkUvzR10A

Ralph

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement