Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 11/29/2008 4:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I was at my brother's today, and he mentioned that TurboTax is now set up so that you can either efile or print the first tax return for free, but if you want to print or efile a 2nd tax return, they charge you an additional $9.95 per printing or efiling. I just checked their website, and this is definitely their new pricing model. I noticed, however, that they are still charging $59.95 for the Deluxe, and $89.95 for the Premier versions which is about what they charged last year, but now, they will get an extra $9.95 if you want to do multiple tax returns.

Am I the only one who finds this unacceptable? I will do our taxes plus taxes for each of my two 17-year-old children, and in previous years, it was allowable to do the taxees for anyone in the household. Now, they want to charge me an extra $9.94 per return.

I am thinking about either using one of the other software packages or even just doing the taxes by hand. Does anyone have a recommendation on one of the other packages, and do you know if they also are now charging for anything after the first tax return?

With TT's new policy, I can see that it might even be possible to pay for the first return if you want to print it to review it, notice an error, and then want to change it and print it again.

What are others doing this year for taxes?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102736 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 11/29/2008 4:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Am I the only one who finds this unacceptable?

IIRC, they charged me for filing both my Federal and for my State (NJ) return. About $10 each. I bought the Deluxe version.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102737 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 11/29/2008 4:28 PM
I am thinking about either using one of the other software packages or even just doing the taxes by hand. Does anyone have a recommendation on one of the other packages, and do you know if they also are now charging for anything after the first tax return?

I've used TaxAct ( www.taxact.com ) for years. Their $19.95 version, which will prepare any 1040 you need prepared, includes one state program and one free Federal e-file. State e-filing is an additional charge (don't know how much; I file directly through the state's website). The charge for state e-filing is a ripoff since the states get their info from the Feds, not the e-file agent (at least in most cases), but it's still a bargain compared to TT. I believe there's a limit of 5 e-filed returns, but no limit on prepared returns.

They usually offer a discount to repeat customers. I paid $17.00 for an "early" reservation of the 2009.

It's similar to TT in that it has both an interview and a forms interface, but there's bound to be a learning curve with new software. I've found it easy to navigate.

Phil

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102738 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 11/29/2008 4:37 PM
Am I the only one who finds this unacceptable?

No - I'm right there with you - thanks for the heads up. I suppose I can do ours(the most complicated return) and print or efile and then run the others and put the numbers in the pdfs that the IRS provides.

rad

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102740 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 11/29/2008 6:45 PM
The charge for state e-filing is a ripoff since the states get their info from the Feds, not the e-file agent (at least in most cases), but it's still a bargain compared to TT. I believe there's a limit of 5 e-filed returns, but no limit on prepared returns.

Thanks. I've actually sent in hard copy taxes the last few years because of the charge for efiling. It was less expensive to just print and mail the 3 returns than to pay for any efiling, and I was planning on printing and mailing this year.

I could understand if they charged for the efiling, and was surprised to hear that they're actually charging just to print off the paper copy that you'd mail in. That's over the top for me, and I don't plan on paying for the software and then again to print the returns.

It's similar to TT in that it has both an interview and a forms interface, but there's bound to be a learning curve with new software. I've found it easy to navigate.

Sounds like I may be switching to TaxAct this year. I wonder how many people who file multiple returns in their household will also not purchase TT this year and opt for something else. I know that my brother had already called TT, and was planning on returning the software since it has that extra charge.

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102746 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 11/29/2008 11:18 PM
Recommendations: 2
No - I'm right there with you - thanks for the heads up. I suppose I can do ours(the most complicated return) and print or efile and then run the others and put the numbers in the pdfs that the IRS provides.

When you consider that the IRS pdfs do not do any calculations and that there is reasonable opportunity to mistype a number, I think the additional money TurboTax is asking is an inexpensive insurance policy.

Of course, if other software providers will allow you to prepare additional returns for free, I would consider them before any choice that involves manual entry of all numbers.

Ira

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102749 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 11/30/2008 2:09 AM
OK - I'll play devil's advocate for a minute.

Why shouldn't TT charge extra for preparing additional tax returns? It's their software - they're free to set their own restrictions on it's use.

So no, I don't have a problem with them doing that.

</devil's advocate>

And I don't have a problem with people choosing a different program with different terms for it's use. If you don't like TT's usage license, go with some other program.

As far as I can tell, they will all give you a nice, pretty printed return. They'll all do a fine job e-filing. And if the inputs are correct, they all should prepare the return correctly, too.

--Peter

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102750 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 11/30/2008 2:46 AM
Recommendations: 4
Why shouldn't TT charge extra for preparing additional tax returns? It's their software - they're free to set their own restrictions on it's use.

I dislike that rather than simply increase the price, they change the pricing model. It feels a bit like bait and switch. But it is their product and if they think this is a good time to try to squeeze more money out of consumers, they should go for it.

rad

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102751 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 11/30/2008 9:52 AM
Recommendations: 3

You're right that they can have any license restrictions that they choose, but this one is a big change from previous years where you were allowed to do other tax returns for people living in the same household. In my case, that means I could do the joint taxes for DH and me, and a tax return for each of my two minor children.

The way TT is set up right now, for instance, if DH and I did our taxes as married filing separately, we'd have to pay that extra $10 to print out the 2nd return and mail it. I find that objectionable when I have just paid $89 for the software.

I cannot imagine that my house is the only one where there are multiple people filing tax returns in the household.

I didn't pay for efiling in previous years because it is less expensive by a lot for me to just print and mail the taxes, and I won't be buying TT this year because of their new license structure.

I did check the website for TaxAct as Phil recommended that one, and it looks good for my needs. Interestingly, I noticed that the very first question on their FAQ was 'do I have to pay extra to do another tax return even if I just print it out to be mailed,' so it looks like they have already seen this as a competitive advantage for them and a competitive disadvantage for TT.

And I don't have a problem with people choosing a different program with different terms for it's use. If you don't like TT's usage license, go with some other program.

That's what I'll do, but I see this as a questionable business decision by TT. Because they want what would be an extra $20 from me, I won't even be spending that $89 with them at all this year [I don't use the basic package]. I suspect I'm not the only one who is in this situation, and I will be curious to see if they keep this business model for next year, or make a different adjustment.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102752 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 11/30/2008 12:41 PM

So no, I don't have a problem with them doing that.

They are free to do it, but as a significant change in terms of licensing, it should be clearly stated. They are hoping that people will buy the product and only find out about the change in terms later. This probably was done by the same management that put the spyware in a previous release and the reason I have used TaxCut.

Debra

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102753 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 11/30/2008 1:15 PM
In previous years you could save your tax return as a pdf and then print that like you would any pdf file. So you could do as many tax returns as you wanted and save them as pdf's without printing anything directly from the TurboTax program.

Does anyone know if they messed around with that aspect of it? It seems that the only way they could stop you from doing this is to no longer allow pdf's to be made.

--fleg

Author: nuyawkr Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102754 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 11/30/2008 2:22 PM
Macintouch has been hosting a "heated" (to put it mildly) discussion on this very topic. A VP from Intuit has been gamely trying to put out the flames, but it's my opinion he's only making the situation worse.

See http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/taxsoftware/topic302...

for the full vituperative thread...

Nuyawkr

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102758 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 11/30/2008 3:49 PM
In previous years you could save your tax return as a pdf and then print that like you would any pdf file. So you could do as many tax returns as you wanted and save them as pdf's without printing anything directly from the TurboTax program.

I'm sure that TT, like pretty much every other program, considers saving the return as a PDF file to be PRINTING the return as a PDF file. So printing is printing is printing, and will be limited as per their license terms.

--Peter

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102759 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 11/30/2008 3:54 PM
I dislike that rather than simply increase the price, they change the pricing model.

I guess it doesn't seem like that big a deal to me, because I've been working with that pricing model for almost 2 decades. Professional tax programs (including the two available from Intuit) have been priced this way for years.

Pay a fee which includes a limited number of returns, then pay a per-return fee for any additional returns. Alternatively, tax pros can pay a much larger fee (MUCH larger) and get unlimited access to the program.

--Peter

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102760 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 11/30/2008 7:55 PM
Pay a fee which includes a limited number of returns, then pay a per-return fee for any additional returns.

And is the limited number of returns you can do under this model greater than 1? Because for TT, 1 is the only number of returns you can do for the purchase price of the software. If you are a married couple filing separately, you have to pay the extra fee. If you have minor children living in your house and who need taxes done, you pay the extra fee.

I've read the string over on the Mac board that was posted earlier, and Intuit seems to be justifying this by saying that since you get so much value in their software because of things like ItsDeductible, they feel there is enough value to justify this additional pricing.

That may be, but I think there are a lot more people out there who will have the same reaction I'm having and simply move to another vendor.

That's my plan, anyhow.

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102762 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 11/30/2008 11:08 PM
Recommendations: 6
And is the limited number of returns you can do under this model greater than 1?

Of course. But then again, that is a professional level program where its sole purpose is to be used to prepare multiple returns.

(It's actually a minimum deposit to be applied to the per-return charge. But the minimum deposit covers about 10 - 15 returns, depending on what states - if any - are filed with the Federal return. And the deposit gives you access to individual, partnership, S corp, C Corp and fiduciary returns. That's a whole lot more than you get with a consumer copy of TT.)

Listen, I don't have a bone to pick here. Intuit changed their pricing policy. So what? Let others know about the change in policy, that's great. If the new policy doesn't suit you, change the program you use.

I just don't understand all the emotional reactions. It's a business decision by Intuit to change the price of their program. It's a business decision by you to choose whose tax program to use.

--Peter

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102768 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 12/1/2008 8:11 AM
I just don't understand all the emotional reactions. It's a business decision by Intuit to change the price of their program. It's a business decision by you to choose whose tax program to use.

I file only one return a year. Last year Intuit charged me en electronic filing fee to file my federal tax and an additional filing fee to file my state tax. This in addition to raising the price of the product every year.

So this year, I just got the downloadable version of TaxACT for $20 that includes one e-filing. Except for cosmetics, it seems a lot like TT Deluxe that I used to use. Of course, I cannot file yet because I do not have the necessary forms from the payers yet.

I am not exactly emotional about this, but I did switch providers of tax prep software.

Author: 4thebird Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102775 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 12/1/2008 1:25 PM
interesting. I usually by pass all the extras that they are now charging for. I just go directly to filling out the forms. so for us the down load for w2/1099, its deductible, and audit support are useless. next year I too will be looking for another software package.

Author: YewGuise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102787 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 12/1/2008 11:34 PM

I personally am annoyed because:
- Now that I know how to use TT, I have some dependence on it, so I don't like their changing the rules arbitrarily (were they really losing money on the one-fee per family pricing?), and
- I especially don't like that, were it not for the heads-up posted here, I would have bought TT and only discovered while preparing DS's return that I'd be out an add'l $10, which I would pay because at that point it wouldn't be worth the trouble to try to return TT and also buy and learn to use TC.

At this point, I'll probably get both, and do DH's & my returns using both, to compare results. Then (assuming I trust TC), do DS's return using TC. This will be more expensive this year, but will give me greater flexibility in future years.

IMHO, it's a short-sighted business decision on TT's part to sabatoge its customers' brand loyalty. I think part of people's emotional reaction is that for every business and consumer decision, there are many choices, and after one does the research and possibly experiences some trial-and-error to determine an optimal solution, one wants to stick with that solution and move on to the next decision, and not have to re-research the same products again and again. Currently I'm shopping for a mattress and a new car; that's time-consuming enough, I don't want to have to re-visit my decision regarding what tax software to use. Also, I think TT is being greedy. As much as I admire and value their software, my belief is that they make a healthy profit already, given the number of packages sold. My tolerance for greed happens to be at a low point right now.

What REALLY annoys me is that I can't just do my taxes myself. I used to, for many years, but threw in the towel when I got hit with AMT. This isn't TT's fault, but given how PO'd I am to start with, TT would do better to help than to add to the discontent.

Author: foo1bar Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102788 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 12/2/2008 2:23 AM
and also buy and learn to use TC.
I'll also suggest Tax Act.
You can download and run the standard version for free.
Last few years I've done the $20 bundle that includes the state, and a free IRS e-file. (extra for state e-file IIRC, but I am OK with mailing that one)

http://www.taxact.com/products/all_compare.asp

I've been very satisfied with them - Last year TaxAct did better than when I went in to H&R Block.

Author: MarinBMWZ4 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102789 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 12/2/2008 2:39 AM
Can taxcut manage rental property calculations? That's the bulk of my tax issues. Using TT and importing the previous years stuff makes it easier.'

MZ4

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102790 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 12/2/2008 4:58 AM
Can taxcut manage rental property calculations? That's the bulk of my tax issues.

Yes.

Using TT and importing the previous years stuff makes it easier.

The most time-consuming part of switching software packages is "introducing" yourself to the new software. The more carryovers, depreciation issues, after-tax bases in IRAs, etc. you have, the longer it takes, and while all software stores that stuff somewhere not all software stores it in the same place. The second year is a snap.

Phil

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102792 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 12/2/2008 7:38 AM
Recommendations: 5
Using TT and importing the previous years stuff makes it easier.

The most time-consuming part of switching software packages is "introducing" yourself to the new software. The more carryovers, depreciation issues, after-tax bases in IRAs, etc. you have, the longer it takes, and while all software stores that stuff somewhere not all software stores it in the same place. The second year is a snap.

TurboTax and TaxCut each claim that they can import the previous year's information from the other software package while TaxAct (last I checked) neither imports from nor can be imported into the other two. Nevertheless, the conversion import in TurboTax and TaxCut is rarely error-free. Anyone switching packages should very, very carefully check all previous year information.

Ira

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102793 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 12/2/2008 7:52 AM
IMHO, it's a short-sighted business decision on TT's part to sabatoge its customers' brand loyalty. I think part of people's emotional reaction is that for every business and consumer decision, there are many choices, and after one does the research and possibly experiences some trial-and-error to determine an optimal solution, one wants to stick with that solution and move on to the next decision, and not have to re-research the same products again and again. Currently I'm shopping for a mattress and a new car; that's time-consuming enough, I don't want to have to re-visit my decision regarding what tax software to use.

Unfortunately, when it comes to tax software, that just isn't possible. The tax laws change each year, and the programs have to be rewritten each year. This can lead to significant changes in the user interface and/or underlying parts of the program. As a parallel, when Microsoft updates their Office suite, do you just buy the new version or do you consider other alternatives such as Corel or Open Office? Why, or why not?

Also, I think TT is being greedy. As much as I admire and value their software, my belief is that they make a healthy profit already, given the number of packages sold. My tolerance for greed happens to be at a low point right now.

You can't know what it costs Intuit to rewrite the software each year. Some years are worse than others based on the number and intricacy of changes to the tax code. Whether or not they make a healthy profit already, their corporate obligation is to make money for their shareholders. If they think they can make more with a different pricing strategy, that's their decision. As others have said, we don't have to agree and we are free to express our displeasure with our wallets.

What REALLY annoys me is that I can't just do my taxes myself. I used to, for many years, but threw in the towel when I got hit with AMT. This isn't TT's fault, but given how PO'd I am to start with, TT would do better to help than to add to the discontent.

As you say, this isn't Intuit's fault.

Ira

Author: THagenah Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102796 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 12/2/2008 5:30 PM
For what its worth I gave up on TurboTax five years ago when their NC state software failed to have any provision for the exclusion from state taxation of federal annuity pension payments. I even wrote a long letter to the CEO of Intuit bringing it to their attention that their NC state software did not have the "Bailey decision" exclusion. I never heard a word from anyone in the company but did get a refund for the software price. I promptly went to HR Block software and have been using them very successfully for the last five years. I would never return to TurboTax.

Author: sjfans Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102797 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 12/2/2008 10:03 PM
I gave up on TurboTax five years ago when their NC state software failed to have any provision for the exclusion from state taxation of federal annuity pension payments. I even wrote a long letter to the CEO of Intuit bringing it to their attention that their NC state software did not have the "Bailey decision" exclusion.

FWIW, TurboTax does now address the Bailey Settlement pensions. I do my parents' taxes and Mom is affected by this provision. I wasn't using the software five years ago but haven't had any problems in the past 2 or 3 years that I've been using it. (Just FYI for anyone else who might need to know...)

sjfans

Author: 4thebird Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102798 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 12/3/2008 9:39 AM
I just sent them a request to be removed from their auto ship. I did not know I was even on it till I got the CD last week. bummer too many things going on to pay attention.

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102799 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 12/3/2008 4:59 PM
I just ordered the Deluxe CD version of TAX ACT (Fed & State) for
$19.95 + shipping of $5.95 after contacting TurboTax via email and TT confirming that they do charge an extra $9.95 for each extra PRINTED return. I've been using TT for many years now but this extra charge is devious in the sense that regular users of TT may not see or expect this on their software package. My thanks to Phil and all you Fools who gave me a heads-up on this hidden change by TT. I wonder how many users they will lose because of this ... a lot I think!

TG

Author: MarinBMWZ4 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102800 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 12/3/2008 11:05 PM
OK, let's get real...at least for me. In my case I could file for my kids, like before, using TT. And extra $20. I could change to an alternate program and go thru the hassle of returning and getting a refund of the TT purchase, purchase the replacement program, enter all the data - mine is the most time consuming and data heavy, the 2 kids is a snap.

Hum, $20....... money / time

My scale says that the $20 is a better value for me than the time spent converting and data crunching.

That said, I will save the $20 this year and manually file my kids stuff. Their forms can be easily done via paper.

MZ4

Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102801 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 12/3/2008 11:41 PM
I could change to an alternate program and go thru the hassle of returning and getting a refund of the TT purchase, purchase the replacement program, enter all the data - mine is the most time consuming and data heavy, the 2 kids is a snap.

Hum, $20....... money / time

My scale says that the $20 is a better value for me than the time spent converting and data crunching.

Or you could use the Turbo Tax free file for the kids. Totally free.

AJ

Author: foo1bar Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102802 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 12/4/2008 4:00 AM

Wrong $ amount.

$20 for the extra returns plus the difference in price between TT and TaxAct (>$40 I think)
Multiplied by the number of years you're going to be filing taxes.

So $100s vs. hour or two of time entering values into a new program.
I decided that I'd spend the extra hour a while ago, but YMMV.

That said, I will save the $20 this year and manually file my kids stuff.
I'd probably just use one of the web based things for them.

I could change to an alternate program and go thru the hassle of returning and getting a refund of the TT purchase,
You already purchased TT?
I'm assuming this must be some sort of "subscription" you signed up for earlier. I would guess TT will be willing to give a refund fairly easily - if not it's easy enough to get the credit card to help you. ("I'd like to dispute these charges. They changed the terms of what I was purchasing after I purchased it and aren't willing to refund my money.")

Author: bookie71 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102803 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 12/4/2008 11:56 AM
Plus the value of the time to learn a new program

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102804 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 12/4/2008 12:12 PM
Plus the value of the time to learn a new program

I downloaded TaxACT last week and tried it out. I obviously do not have all the information I need to file yet, but it is so similar to TT that I feel the relearning time is only a few minutes. You can answer a questionnaire, or you can fill out the forms, or any combination of the two. I do not know if I can import stuff from Quicken (that I no longer use) or not, but since Quicken imports into TT were always so chancy that I never dared use them.

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 103665 of 121061
Subject: Re: TurboTax charging for more than 1 return Date: 1/15/2009 12:36 PM
We just bought Turbo Tax Deluxe (Federal & State) at Costco on Tuesday for $39.99 after the $10 off coupon they have going till Jan 25th. The box has a sticker on it saying "NOW FREE 5 Federal E-files and Unlimited Returns"

Utahtea

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement