UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 881860  
Subject: Turkey *bones* recipes Date: 11/19/2012 4:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Over the next few days, a few different possible sources of turkey carcasses may come up for me and I will be extremely happy to get them. I love making things with leftover bones and Thanksgiving is a windfall for making soups and stocks. There is a possibility that I will get as many as three different leftover sets of turkey bones over the next four days. The hardest part is making arrangements for proper storage and picking them up, but I am already planning.

Wondering if other people have some favorite ideas to share about using up the leftover turkey bones. Please note: At this time, I am only planning on getting the leftover bones (carcasses), very little actual meat itself since I expect these carcasses will be picked very clean. Of course if each cook has extra meat that they want to give me, I'll take that, but I definitely want the bones. I am planning on cooking with one immediately, a second one probably after the weekend, and if I get a third, I will save it up to cook in a few weeks.

Some ideas I have for the bones:
- Making turkey stock as a base for anything else.
- A turkey soup, of course.
- A turkey stew, with various vegetables and miscellaneous leftovers thrown in.
- A turkey gumbo style dish (just a bit of visible meat on the bones makes this dish easily; it is a dish that needs very little actual meat)

In general, I believe that long and slow cooking of the bones result in flavor rich base for other recipes and a great way of using up everything possible out of them.

In case anyone is interested, these are the types of recipes I have in mind so far, but would love some additional ideas.

Turkey gumbo
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/turkey-bon...

Turkey soup: index of several specific recipes
http://www.blogher.com/save-turkey-carcass-and-your-leftover...

I use much less meat and more vegetables than the above recipes call for.

Thanks,
Lois Carmen D.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Real Estate Investment Trusts

Roosting Chickens: The CWH Saga
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement