UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JustFinn One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31091  
Subject: turn it off? Date: 9/5/2001 12:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
OK, who left the water running in the bath upstairs???
We have had over another inch today. We are over 20 inches, and I have lost count... 24? 25? Something like that.

My mulch is sprouting mushrooms between the ponds that have developed in the back yard. The morning glories are drowning, and they are on TOP of the raised flower beds.

The mosquitoes are as big as hummingbirds and more numerous than sparrows.

Will have to start worrying about hoof rot in the cattle again. Just a couple of weeks ago we were worried about lack of grass due to the drought.

Finn
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Raybear Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4715 of 31091
Subject: Re: turn it off? Date: 9/5/2001 8:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"The mosquitoes are as big as hummingbirds and more numerous than sparrows."

Now that's a Texan talkin'!

Don't complain, Finn. You're better off with the rain than without.

Author: pilgprog Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4716 of 31091
Subject: Re: turn it off? Date: 9/5/2001 8:52 AM
Don't complain, Finn. You're better off with the rain than without

That's what Noah said too.

allen

Author: JustFinn One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4717 of 31091
Subject: Re: turn it off? Date: 9/5/2001 6:19 PM
Another two inches today. We are having to chain the cattle and horses down so the mosquitoes don't carry them off.

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4718 of 31091
Subject: Re: turn it off? Date: 9/5/2001 7:52 PM
Hey, Finn - I hear that Texas mosquitoes occasionally carry some form of encephalitis, and that West Nile Virus has been found in one mosquito sample. Be careful. Here on Long Island, I've heard repeated announcements on the radio that a new innoculation will be available in a week or two against West Nile Virus in horses, and that if you have a horse, you should make an appointment now with your vet to get your horses innoculated. I don't know about cattle - ti've never seen one around here.

Two of the 7 horses next door had west Nile Virus last year, and both survived. One was quite sick. Humans run in to their screened homes at night when the mosquitoes wake up, but most livestock remain outside.

Trini

Author: JustFinn One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4719 of 31091
Subject: Re: turn it off? Date: 9/5/2001 8:43 PM
Yessum, just sprayed my horse down with repellant. She was MUCH relieved.... whole body relaxed.
We have Equine Encephalitis (sp??) down here... at least.
Keep her innoculated. Luckily, she just made a trip to the vet recently and got updated on shots. You do NOT want to hear about the rest of her vet visit, however. :-( Good news is she survived.

Houston has a problem with humans getting mosquito borne illnesses. They do a lot of testing, fogging, etc. Not tooooo much of a fear of that here.

We were fighting mosquitoes at school all day. They piggy back on kids coming in the doors, and when you squash one, you have a bloody smear on your art paper. YUK

Have killed ten or fifteen or so already in the house here since I got home. Sprayed Yard Guard around the outside doors just now. Need to fog the yard with Malethion.... every other day.

It will be like this a week... then go away... unlike SNOW that you Yankees get. :-)

Finn the Mosquito Killer

Author: Raybear Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4720 of 31091
Subject: Re: turn it off? Date: 9/6/2001 8:35 AM
Careful, Finn! Some of the pesticides you're using may be worse than the bugs.

Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4721 of 31091
Subject: Re: turn it off? Date: 9/6/2001 8:38 AM
Recommendations: 0
Someone mentioned the Mosquito Magnet. Frontgate sells this product.
http://www.frontgate.com/pdp.jsp?Showarrow=Y&prod_oid=305710&category_key=-10680&k=XX10498

Does anyone actually have this device? I'm curious as to its claim that it can repel mosquitoes on a 1/2 acre of land.

Charles

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement