Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Turned out the week before the marathon last year I had to leave a concert with flu-like symptoms and wasn't fully healed from the flu.

Here's the legal waiver I signed:

"In consideration of the acceptance of this entry, I hereby, for myself, my heirs, executors, administrators, and assigns, release and discharge the sponsors and operators of the Myrtle Beach Marathon and their agents and employees from any and all claims for damages sufferred by me as a result of my participation in or traveling to or from the said event to be held on February 14, 15, 16, 2013. I specifically release and discharge said operators and sponsors from all injuries or damages arising from or contributed to by any physical impairment or defect. I may have, whether latent or patent, and agree that they are under no obligation to provide a physical examination or other evidence of my physical fitness to participate in such event the same being my sole responsibility. I also give permission for the free use of my name and picture in any broadcast, telecast, or written account of the event. Subject to drug testing according to the USATF Rules and IAAF Rule 14."

The disclaimer does not say officials can reject an entry for any reason, and the sudden last-minute disqualification after my entry becomes an issue.

I since ran two halves without problem, with a sub-2:15 half in November. So one flu bug created this mess.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement